Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: USB Remasterig Using Minimum Real Estate

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    and what if I want to remaster but put the new knoppix image in /mnt ?
    I know knoppix is on /dev/sdb1/knoppix but I do not know what to put in flop if I want it in mnt considering there is no knoppix install over there.
    would be great if you clarify it a bit more

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    and what if I want to remaster but put the new knoppix image in /mnt ?
    I know knoppix is on /dev/sdb1/knoppix but I do not know what to put in flop if I want it in mnt considering there is no knoppix install over there.
    would be great if you clarify it a bit more
    I am not sure I understand your problem. Here's my understanding of how things work ...

    Linux knows about 'block devices' and partitions on them (e.g sdxn). You can find out which it knows about by typing in cat /proc/partitions. For each of these Linux creates a device file in /dev (e.g. /dev/sdxn). For each of these (with a file system), Knoppix adds a entry in /etc/fstab and creates directory under /media so you can mount the file system with just mount /media/sdxn.

    The doemaster script uses this to mount and umount file systems so you don't have to. You are not expected to use /mnt so you need to explain a bit more what you think you want so I can see what you mean.

    For most people, the (only) hard drive is sda and their USB stick is sdb. Stick in a second USB and it will be sdc. So declare FLIP and FLOP to be /dev/sdb1/KNOPPIX and /dev/sdc1/KNOPPIX as the example in the script shows.

    If you have two USB sticks plugged in when you boot and use the fromhd= cheat code to boot from /dev/sdc1/KNOPPIX, the script will spot this and remaster onto /dev/sdb1/KNOPPIX.

    Does that help ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Forester

    I think I understand what you intend to do here,
    but I find the user interface most unfriendly.

    I'd be glad to set some variables and make some
    choices, but none I try seem to be correct.

    I suggest perhaps you make it more clear which
    lines need attention.

    I've prepared my 2nd USB but I'll wait to see
    how the discussion goes before just tweaking away.

    A good example for cloop, not-encrypted and pruned
    with /dev/sdb1 as master and dev/sdc1 as target
    would be most helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98