Hello,
I finally got my hands on the German version of the Knoppix 7.0 DVD
which successfully passes the "knoppix testcd" test, and has the following md5:
300586ae0d536b2522494c82d845534b *knoppix_7.0.iso
For those who may be interested in correcting the few corrupted (and not critical)
files included within the English version of the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file
please find below the link to the correct data extracted from the German DVD:
http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/...PIX_70_fix.tgz
and below the md5 of the correct files included in the above file:
d6aafd5451b9b1700b5bcb393948b92c KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings
af9cbfed007c6bb158d80c7200a5e85c KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip
af9cbfed007c6bb158d80c7200a5e85c KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip
After copying the content of the /KNOPPIX folder and replacing the corrupted files
by the content of the above KNOPPIX_70_fix.tgz file you may want to use the
following command to recreate a corrected KNOPPIX cloop file:
mkisofs -R -U -D -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad KNOPPIX_folder | nice -5 create_compressed_fs - 65536 > KNOPPIX
Then update the sha1sum check file for your new KNOPPIX cloop and recreate the iso.
Please note that the above command requires really a lot of RAM to run properly
and not have corruption as the whole KNOPPIX data content is piped using RAM.
Is this the corruption problem that happened during the English remastering ?
In all cases, I hope that this will be helpful to someone.
Best Regards,
Gilles
Hi ICPUG,
My guess is that in the worse case scenario (of a very slow computer) the amount RAM required
for the pipe to work properly is the size of the data that you need to compress into the cloop file
which in this case is about 9GB. So I would recommend the use of a swap file larger than 9GB.
Best Regards,
Gilles
Why don't you use the option "-f"mkisofs -R -U -D -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad KNOPPIX_folder | nice -5 create_compressed_fs - 65536 > KNOPPIX
as in the HowTo?Code:create_compressed_fs --help
You need a huge amount of space, either within RAM or within disk (swap file, swap partition or output file).
Hi Werner,
I did not know about this "-f" option and I did not check the remaster howto for quite a while.
In all cases yes it does make sense to use the -f option to lower the RAM requirement even though
I did not try it yet, but I will for sure use it in the near future, as well as the -L -1 (for lzip compression).
Thanks for the suggestion,
Best Regards,
Gilles
PS: the help option for "create_compressed_fs" is "-h" (instead of --help)![]()
The Linux way to use options within shellscripts is longterm version like "--help". In some cases also shortterm version like "-h" will do the job.PS: the help option for "create_compressed_fs" is "-h" (instead of --help)
To avoid headache I always use "--help".
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Hi Werner,
What I meant is that the "--help" parameter is not recognized by "create_compressed_fs"
(but still prints a nice help message), as you can see below:
Best Regards,# create_compressed_fs --help
2 processor core(s) detected
create_compressed_fs: unrecognized option '--help'
Usage: advfs [options] INFILE OUTFILE [HOSTS...]
...
Gilles
Last edited by ruymbeke; 05-16-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Yes, this nice help message doesn't differ from the message you get using
create_compressed_fs -h
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-16-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Hello,
I just found this live CD using Knoppix as an engine:
http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm
and interestingly it is based on Knoppix 7.0 (or 7.1 ?)
as it is using a new Linux kernel 3.3 and have a CD size.
I wonder who is working on this Knoppix remaster ?
Cheers,
Gilles
I don't know, who is working on this remaster.
But klaus2008 did many tests with new Kernel versions for Knoppix 7.0

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech
$747.99