-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ruymbeke
Hi kl522,
Here you go, I remember that Klaus mentioned once that he was using an eepc for development
and yes Knoppix 7.0.3 is using a more recent version of gcc 4.7.1-2 than the one used to compile
the kernel (gcc 4.7.1-1) as you read below. So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use
a previous version of Knoppix which still uses that version of gcc. I would be nice to have installed
on Knoppix the correct version of gcc to recompile the kernel without complication. I guess this is a
suggestion for improvement that Klaus may consider to use on his next release.
Thanks for your help.
Best Regards,
Gilles
root@Knoppix:/# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.4.4 (root@eeepc) (gcc version 4.7.0 (Debian 4.7.1-1) ) #14 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 23 20:07:21 CEST 2012
root@Knoppix:/# gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
The module file can be edited manually. I have done before, after editing the module using vi, if the length of string remains, the module can be loaded. Or perhaps insmod has a force option to forcefully load a module.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
kl522
The module file can be edited manually. I have done before, after editing the module using vi, if the length of string remains, the module can be loaded. Or perhaps insmod has a force option to forcefully load a module.
Perhaps can try this :-
# sed -i -e 's/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-1) 4.7.0/g' oprofile.ko
Might be faster than other methods.
-

Originally Posted by
kl522
... sed -i -e 's/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-1) 4.7.0/g' oprofile.ko ...
Nice trick but the module still does not load because of Unknown symbols.
I may have to overlay the kernel and all the modules ...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Too bad then, I think other things are probably changed too. Maybe can still try modprobe -f.
Last edited by kl522; 08-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.
-

Originally Posted by
kl522
Too bad then, I think other things are probably changed too. Maybe can still try modprobe -f.
Hi kl522,
Nope: # depmod; modprobe -f oprofile ==> ERROR: could not insert 'oprofile': Exec format error
Thanks for your help !
Gilles
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99