Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Flying Icons in Knoppix?

  1. #11
    Thank you for all your suggestions, utu. I'll post back here if I find anything noteworthy.

  2. #12
    When I click and drag an icon on the desktop, the mouse pointer turns into a document icon to show that I am dragging something. On occasion, I will see the same document icon, several minutes later, fly across the screen on the same path . So, the click and drag animation is being recorded and played back to me several mintues later.

    I'm relieved to know more about what's causing it, but I'm still curious. I'm using LXDE and PCManFM. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ericbakuladavis; 03-17-2014 at 10:14 PM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by ericbakuladavis View Post
    When I click and drag an icon on the desktop, the mouse pointer turns into a document icon to show that I am dragging something.
    What types of files do these icons represent
    that you are dragging and dropping?
    Are these simple text files or something more exotic than that?

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Eric. see if this is what's bugging you:
    http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?...nd+drop#p49442

  5. #15
    Hi utu,

    The effect is produced when I drag and drop any icon on my desktop including those that represent .desktop files, simple text files, and symlinks to other directories.

    So far, I have not been able to producce the effect while dragging icons within a PCManFM window nor between the desktop and a PCManFM window. In these cases, the mouse pointer does change to a document icon to show that something is being dragged (as normal), but it does not replay the animation mintues later. The replay effect only happens with the desktop, it seems.

    Thanks

    EDIT: I just saw the link you posted. That seems to be a different issue. My effect is produced when I succesfully reposition an icon on the desktop. Everything works as normal. The only weird part is that the animation of dragging and dropping the icon is replayed several mintues later (on top of whatever window I may have open at the time).
    Last edited by ericbakuladavis; 03-18-2014 at 01:36 AM.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20

    Talking

    I've seen this effect too... on other versions of Knoppix as well. It's not so much a problem, it's more of an alarm for "me" to kill the internet, & do a boot-sector anti-rootkit/boot-kit scan immediately...due to the possibility of loosing yet another massive backup drive FULL of files simply because some selfish little kid with toyswants to play around.MOST trojanized softwares today install rootkits/boot-kits executable code directly to the first few bytes of the drive's boot-sector,& when that happens, windows auto-formats the rest of the regular drive due to not understanding what's written there,so assuming it's a blank, or simply has a corrupted boot-sector, & repairs it by formatting, & leaves it appearing blank. I've never seen it happen to my system drives, but always a secondary one.Without my arsenal of forensic HDD recovery softwares, I would be out of luck.So... every time I see it (the flying icon), I damn near get a heart attack! ...That is, until I realize that I'm on Linux, & NOT Windows. If it was Windows, i'd pull the plug from the wall immediately! I have no idea what's causing it though... but I've seen it happen every so often on different versions of Knoppix.It might be an artifact from the graphics card, or maybe the boogie-man... who knows! lmao lol
    Last edited by DTeCH; 05-07-2014 at 09:14 AM.

  7. #17
    i don't know, I haven't seen it but I just wanted to mention, you said you use the no3d cheatcode. I tried that cheatcode and it has the disadvantage of disabling the ability to make screenshots(Fn+Print Screen) (tried on knoppix 7.2.0). So I don't use the no3d cheatcode, I go to menu..preferences..compwiz and disable effects there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks SSR120 Smart Router picture

Juniper Networks SSR120 Smart Router

$500.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99