Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: knx-hdinstall stops

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11

    knx-hdinstall stops

    I am already using Mandrake Linux 8.2, works fine. Now I wanted to use Knoppix to migrate from Mandrake to Debian, installing Knoppix on HD by using the knx-hdinstall skript. Now when I

    sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

    the script starts, but after a short while the process stops, giving me no other choice than strg-alt-backspace to shut down Knoppix.

    To solve the problem I copied another version of knx-hdinstall from the net, but that doesn't work either. So it is obviously NOT the script that doesn't work. (I should add that on running Knoppix all my devices are detected correctly, no error messages...)

    Is this trouble caused by the fact that I have no FREE diskspace when I start knx-hdinstall? I had the idea to run knx-hdinstall and THEN use cfdisk to delete my Mandrake partitions and replace them with new and empty partitions. Or should I simply try another Knoppix cd (I am currently using the Knoppix-c't-version that was published two weeks ago in the German c't magazine)?

    Any other sugegstions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    I forgot to say that the knx-hd-install screen isn't even displayed! And I have to add that there is ONE ERROR MESSAGE (or something like an error message) displayed when I run knoppix: knoppix wants me to give rows and columns for the screen, but when I ignore that request knoppix starts without a problem. So is my trouble caused by a problem in my video setup?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    You need to make sure that everything works BEFORE you do a hd install, if console mode won't work you'll probably end up in trouble later on. Try starting up with " knoppix vga=normal " (plus any other necessary boot parameters) then you should see the hardware detection etc. Make sure your video is working as it should, in console mode and in X and everything else is working, sound, networking, etc. Then try the hd install. If this doesn't work post back. Make sure to include any error messages.

    HTH

    rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    And after everything is working fine using the CD, just hit <Ctrl><ALT>F1 to get to a root
    prompt and run "knx-hdinstall" from there...

    Good luck.

    Lawrence

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Dear Rock,

    the problem is that Knoppix IS WORKING FINE on my machine, but, despite this, the knoppix-hd-install-script hangs... The only error message I get when booting the system is something like "you passed an undefined mode number"; nevertheless, hitting the ENTER key starts a fine working Knoppix environment. Yesterday evening I tried all the pre-defined mode numbers for the video settings (there are 0-7 mode numbers), but knx-hdinstall hangs with all available modes.

    Now I have a rather stupid -- or not so stupid -- idea. My machine has only 64 MB of memory. This is good enough to have a normal Knoppix system running on the machine (despite the fact that the documentation says you should have at least something like 90 MB or so). So my assumption is this: Knoppix works with 64 MB memory, but hd-install needs more memory...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Do you have a swap partition being used when you install? If not you might want to try with a swap partition.

    You also might want to try to run the knx-hdinstall script from a console after starting with ' knoppix 2 vga=normal ' so you don't run X then memory shouldn't be a problem doing the install.

    rock

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Dear Rock,

    since I have a Linux Mandrake system (there is no Windows on my machine) I HAVE a Linux swap partition, of course! The only solution I see is to follow your advice and try the hd-install without running the X windows system. I'll try it this evening. Thanks for your suggestions!

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Dear Rock,

    IT WORKS! Thanks a lot!

    For those who may run into the same trouble, here the problem again:

    You may have a machine with less memory than recommended to run Knoppix in graphics mode (less than 96 MB). You may find that everything works fine, despite the fact that you have, say, only 64 MB of memory; i.e. Knoppix boots and runs without any trouble, and it does so in graphics mode. And now you may want to install Knoppix on your harddisk, but knx-hdinstall hangs. This happens because the install-script needs at least 96 MB of memory or so, perhaps even more. In this case just do this:

    When booting from CD-ROM enter into your boot screen this:

    knoppix 2 vga=normal

    Your machine will boot into non-graphics mode. When the prompt is shown on your screen just enter the normal command to run the knx-hdinstall-script, usually:

    sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

    The script will start and lead you through the download of Knoppix onto your harddisk.

Similar Threads

  1. printer stops?
    By brianfay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
  2. [hp omnibook 510] Stops booting
    By JJzD in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
  3. Stops booting
    By davidhalo2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM
  4. 3.3 boot stops and locks.
    By alex+ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 01:13 PM
  5. booting up stops at..
    By madLyfe in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00