Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Removing some of kde before upgrading to new version.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235

    Removing some of kde before upgrading to new version.

    Hi,

    I'm at a point where an upgrade is in order. Here's the thing, a while back I ran apt-get install kde which loaded an additional 100MB of files onto my installation. Now I see that kde is at 3.2.1 for testing and 3.2.2 for unstable, but what I wanted to do is remove all of kde and then reinstall 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 with just the kde-base or kde-core instead of the entire kde metapackage. Even better would be some way of removing some of kde components down to kde-base size. How does one tailor apt-get in such a way as to remove only certain components but keep others even though they may depend on the components being removed? For instance, if I apt-get remove kdelibs4, it will remove all of kde plus guarddog, arts, kdm, etc, but I want to keep kdm, guarddog, and remove everything else before reinstalling kde-base again.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Nevermind,

    Found my old baseline file and used that to create a diff file, and then sorted and purged the unwanted kde apps that didn't come with knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    what baseline - diff,
    could you give me some details
    thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    If you search the forum for my earlier posts, there is one which I explained how I baseline my system before adding/removing/upgrading software. The command I use is
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > todaysdate.txt
    I keep them so I can revert my system to a particular date when I didn't have the additional software that were added/removed since then. Then I take the first file and then take the last file, for example: lastmonth.txt and todaysdate.txt, then I open a console as root and type
    Code:
    diff lastmonth.txt todaysdate.txt > packages.diff
    and it will add plusses to packages that weren't in lastmonth.txt, or add minuses to packages that were in lastmonth.txt but not todaysdate.txt and output the whole thing to packages.diff. Then I edit the diff file and delete all packages that don't have a plus next to it, then remove the plusses and finally rename the file to kicklist. Then I run the command:
    Code:
     apt-get remove --purge `cat kicklist`
    Viola! all the packages that were installed since lastmonths.txt would be gone and purged and the system is pretty much back to lastmonth's state with upgraded packages. Nice, no?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    thanks for that i could possibly be about to fuck up my system and that wi save me a lot of trouble... A LOT

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading from version 3.4 to 3.9
    By kaplan71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
  2. Upgrading Knoppix version
    By rozen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
  3. Removing without removing dependencies also
    By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
  4. Poor Man's Install Not Working in version 7-26 version
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
  5. upgrading after Hdd Install to new version of Knoppix
    By mrnobody in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99