Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cannot boot 3.4: suspect SATA problem - help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16

    Cannot boot 3.4: suspect SATA problem - help!

    QUICK HISTORY:

    I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run:

    hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg

    in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.

    PROBLEM:

    My problem is knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line:

    Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o

    and if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over

    I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3

    BUT i still can't get 3.4 to boot at all......... help! please! thank you

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    A quick update:

    I have tried a huge variety of configurations using both linux24 and linux 26 with the noscsi, nodma, noapic and acpi=off with little success.

    I can boot successfully with "linux24 noscsi nodma"

    However I am trying to boot with linux26 so I can do an HD install. I've tried linux26 with most of the options I list above with no success. The boot config of "linux26 noscsi nodma" will hang on the line:

    Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM on /dev/scd0..

    Please help! Thank you!

    I can always try to do an install with the debian-installer but I prefer Knoppix!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    32
    try "knoppix noscsi"
    or
    try "knoppix26 noscsi"

    these both work for me

    Moustache

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    thanks moustache,

    "knoppix26 noscsi" and "linux26 noscsi" work for me. For some reason, it seemed to be freezing up or hanging on when it tried to do mapping to /etc/fstab but after i waited awhile it finally came back. It was pretty convincing thought and had me fooled. I thought it had locked up. But you have to wait a minute or two,.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: Cannot boot 3.4: suspect SATA problem - help!

    Quote Originally Posted by fourthirtysix
    QUICK HISTORY:

    I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run:

    hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg

    in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.

    PROBLEM:

    My problem is knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line:

    Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o

    and if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over

    I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3

    BUT i still can't get 3.4 to boot at all......... help! please! thank you
    Thanks for the post! I used your tip, and booted my 80 GB IDE fine on a 3.3 copy. The 3.4 was indeed hanging. the hang point was when scanning
    and creating /etc/fstab.

    I will think about how to get aroud this but go forward by going backwards...

    Kindest Regards,

    Paul

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    i already wrote this in another post but will repeat here since i still have not gotten any help yet.

    booting with "knoppix26 noscsi" allows me to boot. when it gets to the mounting /etc/fstab section it hangs for a minute, then begins to repeat "Disabling IRQ #18" over and over again. then after two minutes of this, it finally loads KDE.

    unfortunately, after KDE loads i cannot get the SATA hard drive to mount. It tells me that it can't read the superblock. My old trick using knoppix 3.3 of typing "hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg" doesn't help anymore.

    I'm sad that I can't using Knoppix 3.4 because of the continuing problems with getting it to read my sata hard drive but I cannot find help so far

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Problem booting with SATA
    By eiger67 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM
  2. problem with sata drive
    By moep in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 06:52 AM
  3. doing a dual boot with sata, please help
    By Evil One in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 11:01 PM
  4. Boot w Sata
    By rcook in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
  5. SATA and Knoppix 3.4 problem
    By best15 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99