-
Japanese Filenames
I have serveral files with japanese filnames on my harddisk (created with Windows XP). However when I open a folder containing files with japanese filenames with Konqueror it doesn't show the files at all. It only shows the files without japanese characters in them.
Is there a solution to this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes. Don't use japanese filenames.
They aren't standard (? not sure), and nearly every tool will get troubles with them.
You can't share them to people, who don't have a japanese keybord, and most people don't even have a japanese font.
I'm not sure whether windows officially supports japanese characters in filenames, but it's really only useful, if you use these files only in your box.
[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_$. has been a standard in former times.
Rename or copy these files from windows.
You are a Japanese? And nearly every Japanese has a japanese keybord?
-

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Yes. Don't use japanese filenames.
They aren't standard (? not sure), and nearly every tool will get troubles with them.
You can't share them to people, who don't have a japanese keybord, and most people don't even have a japanese font.
I'm not sure whether windows officially supports japanese characters in filenames, but it's really only useful, if you use these files only in your box.
[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_$. has been a standard in former times.
Rename or copy these files from windows.
You are a Japanese? And nearly every Japanese has a japanese keybord?
Windows XP supports japanese filnames, I'm not japanese but many files I download (for example with bittorrent) have japanese filenames. So that means if I change to a linux distro I won't be able to download those files anymore? Anyway I was hoping that the problem could be fixed somehow (and renaming the files is not an option).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well - windows supports in some way german umlauts ('äöüÄÖÜ') and 'ß'.
But some tools for win/dos don't handle them correct. It's more a half-way support.
-

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Well - windows supports in some way german umlauts ('äöüÄÖÜ') and 'ß'.
But some tools for win/dos don't handle them correct. It's more a half-way support.
I found a solution, I mounted the partitions with "-o iocharset=utf8", I haven't tried it under Knoppix though.
-
Senior Member
registered user
is utf8 just unicode ? I believe Windows use unicode for filename, at least for NT based system, not sure about the 98/ME etc.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not sure about that, but I guess you need utf-16 for japanese filenames.
-

Originally Posted by
user unknown
I'm not sure about that, but I guess you need utf-16 for japanese filenames.
Hmm, I'll try mounting with utf16 but man mount didn't have that as an option. Anyway to clearify, it actually works for me now, I can access the files with japanese filenames. The only problem is that they're named something like "£@$@£$" but that certainly beats not seeing them at all.
-
Senior Member
registered user
In kernel 2.6.5 I saw a lot of options about nls - (native language support) in the fs (filesystem) subtree, including nls_euc-jp.
I'm not sure what their duty is, but perhaps it's just your problem, and you have to recompile your kernel (or get a new one).
-
edit: sorry ignore
Similar Threads
-
By ak in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM
-
By diogenes in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 12:52 PM
-
By ak in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
-
By vaio55 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-17-2004, 03:35 AM
-
By wicking in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module
$66.31

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99