Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Need help installing executible in Knoppix Linux

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166

    Need help installing executible in Knoppix Linux

    I'm trying to setup a Smart Boot Manager floppy so I can boot off the CD and not a floppy. My computer won't boot CDs because of BIOS limitations.

    I got the DOS version written in w2k and it worked great but I can't figure out how to do it in Knoppix Linux. ./sbminst didn't do it in any command line I could enter it into. Whenever it asks for the root password, I tried to just hit enter or knoppix but no go.

    Whats the exact syntax and console I should use to get it started?

    TIA,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    were you root?

    also try
    ./smbinst --help
    or -h

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    were you root?

    also try
    ./smbinst --help
    or -h
    Nada...

    I'm not root nor can I figure out how to log in as root or su in Knoppix. Password is required.

    For my own edification exactly how (full paths/command lines) did you get it to work in Linux?


    BTW I just tried to use the DOS generated SBM to boot your KDE3.1 and it errored out. But the 12-12-2002 Knoppix 3.1 did work. So I'll try reburning your ISO (version 2) and see if I can fanally see that suse framestyle boot everyone is talking about.

    Either SBM floppy is the same as far as the computer is concerned. Just one is made in DOS and the other is made in Linux. Is this a correct assumption?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    were you root?

    also try
    ./smbinst --help
    or -h
    Nada...

    I'm not root nor can I figure out how to log in as root or su in Knoppix. Password is required.
    sudo su ?
    Either SBM floppy is the same as far as the computer is concerned. Just one is made in DOS and the other is made in Linux. Is this a correct assumption?
    Yep.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Now that I can boot to CDs, I went ahead and installed Debian/Libranet 2.0 on hda5. I'd have gone with Knoppix except now it can't mount the partition to install.

    So far my main gripes are the supplied 2.4.18 kernel only detects one processor, I can't get a mouse pointer but only this square ugly shape. Worst of all, grub screwed up the w2k boot loader and only boots Linux. I have to get to w2k via SBM for now.

    I'm thinking I'll repair the w2k bootloader and use that linux boot floppy to dink around in Libranet until I learn enough to install NIX better next time.

    Knoppix can't mount any of hda because there's 2 extra zero sector partition lines listed in the fstab. It doesn't bother Libranet or w2k, only knoppix. Can these be edited out in GRUB or?

    I'm looking forward to your next KDE3.1/Knoppix release edaz. Libranet has KDE2.2 LOL. apt-get KDE3.1 and fresh SMP capable kernel for starters.

    Thanx for the help.

Similar Threads

  1. problem installing windows after linux
    By zebesian in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 08:27 PM
  2. Installing Linux to hard Drive
    By ZeuZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 08:14 PM
  3. Installing Linux-From-Scratch with Knoppix 3.4
    By Akonbobot in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 01:19 PM
  4. Installing Software on Knoppix 3.3? NEW TO LINUX!!!
    By OMFG in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 02:06 PM
  5. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00