I have never encountered your weird type of problems after a hdd install... why not have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46750
cu, g.
Greetings.
First of all, this is an awesome community. I have found all of the info and help on a lot of things regarding Knoppix Live CD and HDD-Install, by searching the forums and links posted by users.
Unfortunately, every time I go into Knoppix HDD-Installation on my PC(I have dual boot with XPPro) there are several inconsistencies with Knoppix. For example:
1. Sometimes X starts with the keyboard in DE instead of the previously configured EN.
2. My screen resolution does not match my monitor's capabilities(1280x1024), even though I have edited the config files for XWindows, and have also run XF86Config with the same result, using root account.
3. My HP DeskJet 672C printer doesn't print, even though it has been configured and also detected automatically by the config wizard.
4. KMix opens up automatically sometimes, when X loads.
Any ideas and suggestions?
My current hardware is:
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512MB RAM
GeForceFX 5200 w/128MB
Hyundai DeluxScan S770 Monitor
Latest NVIDIA drivers installed
I have never encountered your weird type of problems after a hdd install... why not have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46750
cu, g.
Thank you godot. I will try those steps to see how it goes.
Any other suggestions or recommendations besides the ones in your site?
TIA
I haven't used the knoppix installer in a while, but could it be that you selected knoppix mode as opposed to debian mode install? If so, the automatic hw detection and possibly the X-configuration runs at each reboot...
It must have been that baldyeti, since when I verified the configuration it had three options, beginner, knoppix and debian. I chose knoppix when I first installed it.
I'm going to try godot instructions to see what happens.
Greetings.
Well, I followed godot's HOWTO to the letter. So far everything seems to be working, but I get some error messages when I boot and when I shutdown.
My dmesg can be found here. The strange thing is, that there are some error messages displayed at boot time, that I can't seem to find on dmesg. Do I need to look somewhere else?
Where can I find the shutdown log?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you for the help so far.![]()
--
Take care.
I was or am having the same problem as the first poster. The kmix comes up on reboot. So... I did the godot installation. Nice set up of a debian system however, ndiswrapper wouldn't install. So... I reinstalled using the old begginer method and *boom* ndiswrapper installed!
So now I'm back to where I started. Looks like I'll have to live with the kmix poppin up if I want to have the ndiswrapper working. The only way I've been able to get rid of the kmix on boot is to disable the desktop restore. So...
perhaps this kmix starting up problem has something to do with the settings which govern the desktop restore.
Any tips on how to get this kmix not to come up *with* a desktop restore would be welcome.
Arthur
KMix opening when KDE starts after a Knoppix install is kind of odd. Have you checked your ~/.kde/Autostart folder for it?
Greetings.
No I haven't verified the autostart folder yet.
I'm still having problems with the screen resolution not staying at the configured size, after installing nvidia drivers.
Take care.
yeah, the only thing in ~/.kde/Autostart/ is a hidden file called directory....
art

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99
640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00
1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95
Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00