Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Thinking about getting Knoppix, would like help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    Thinking about getting Knoppix, would like help

    I'm considering getting Knoppix, but I would like to know ahead of time of any issues it might have with my computer, I.E. could it damage it at all. Also, I am somewhat scared by the warning regarding cryptographic software contained in Knoppix. Does anyone know about the laws regarding it in Germany (The country it would be exported from when I download it, unless I go with a local server) or Canada (Country I'm importing to. I'm reasonably sure I'm okay on this front though)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Thinking about getting Knoppix, would like help

    Quote Originally Posted by Number_6
    I'm considering getting Knoppix, but I would like to know ahead of time of any issues it might have with my computer, I.E. could it damage it at all.
    Well if you're looking for a guarantee then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
    When you boot knopix it looks at your hardware and configures itself for it. It doesn't change your hardware. I have seen several stories about those lousy Dell's and a problem where they won't start after booting Knoppix. This has always been (AFAIK) resolved by simply unplugging the power cord from the PC and plugging it back in. Also it's possible that it could send signals that are too far out of range for your monitor and that may damage it. So if you have a really old monitor.......Other than that there is little chance of it damaging your hardware.

    Remember: You do this at your own risk. No one is going to accept responsibility for anything that happens.

    Funny isn't it? People are concerned about their hardware but their security means nothing to them. What am I referring to?
    A quote from windowsupdate.microsoft.com:
    Multiple security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Windows and gain complete control over it.
    And that's just the part that Redmond admits to.

    Also, I am somewhat scared by the warning regarding cryptographic software contained in Knoppix. Does anyone know about the laws regarding it in Germany (The country it would be exported from when I download it, unless I go with a local server) or Canada (Country I'm importing to. I'm reasonably sure I'm okay on this front though)

    Thanks
    Call a lawyer. Although I will say that I know of several Canadians that use Knoppix. *HINT* You should at least *try* to use a mirror close to you.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Well - while the previous post is really discouraging, I would encourage you.

    a) I never heard of anybody, damaging his computer with linux. If you read the Documentation of the XF86Config-file you are warned, not to play with the values, but by ordinarly using knoppix, no danger is to be expected.

    b) There is no export-restriction in Germany for cryptographic routines, coming with knoppix.
    I guess the hint about the mirror wasn't related to that issue, but might look like. You don't need to call a lawyer. Buy a pizza from the saved money.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    There is exactly one horror story I've heard of, where a Reiser file system partition was somehow detected as a swap partition, causing data loss in that partition. If you're using Windows, this isn't a concern (only FAT, FAT32, NTFS).

    If I were using Knoppix on a system with Reiser FS, I'd run it with "knoppix noswap" just in case.

    As or the legal considerations with the cryptographic software--the only legal restrictions are for exporting certain cryptographic software from the United States to elsewhere. The justification for this restriction is that the US Government deems good cryptographic technology to be military technology--like stealth bombers or laser guided missiles. Thus, if it's developed in the United States there are restrictions on exporting it. However, there is no restriction whatsoever on IMPORTING cryptographic technology developed elsewhere in the world.

    AFAIK, no one else considers cryptographic technology to be military technology, or if they do they deem the economic benefits of being able to sell software to outweigh any security concerns.

    As such, pretty much all good cryptographic software development has moved outside the United States.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    What about Dells?

    I would be using Knoppix on a Dell Dimension 4500s desktop... What's this about Knoppix not playing nicely with Dells? Also, is that just Knoppix or Linux live CD's in general?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Last time I asked, nobody reported any permanent damage.
    See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6480
    If you still chicken out, try it on a friend's computer ;-)

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    I'm using knoppix on a Dell notebook. It is not a big deal. Don't worry about it, and give it a try. I guses no one can gurantee you anything, but I don't think there is much to be afraid of. I'm even worst than a novice, and I can at least get it running. ha-ha. I hope you enjoy your experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10 GigE MMF Transceiver Module picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10 GigE MMF Transceiver Module

$18.88



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2 picture

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2

$32.99