-
Can't get dual boot going
Hi,
Initially I had a Linspire (used to be called Lindows) version of linux on my hda1. (Its the first Linux I loaded) .
The I loaded Knoppix onto hda3. I've been trying to get Lilo to have a Linspire option in the boot menu so I can boot either but every time I try modding lilo.conf I am told that "hda1 does not contain a valid boot signature'.
I have tried reading the various dual boot posts and procedures but either I don't understand them or I am getting the instructions wrong. (One of the joys of noob-iness!!)
The machine has only one actual hard drive. Here's how it's partitioned and used;
hda1 >>>> Linspire (used to be Lindows)
hda3 >>>> Knoppix
hda5 >>>> a FAT32 partition for file and data storage
hda6 >>>> my Linux swap partition.
Here is the portion of the standard LILO.CONF file from Knoppix. (The rest of it is totally unchanged so I haven't pasted it to save space) You can see where I pasted entried from the other OS.
# If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
# following lines, changing the device name on the 'other' line to
# where your other OS' partition is.
#
# other=/dev/hda4
# label=HURD
# restricted
# alias=3
other=/dev/hda1
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
label=Linspire
vga=0xf04
root=/dev/hda1
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
append="mem=nopentium resume=/dev/hda1 resume_block=0x2014"
Can anyone help? If I have to reload either OS I don't mind.
Thanks
Jim
Similar Threads
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By Bonster in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 10:52 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 07:37 PM
-
By senorian in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350
$325.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99