-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
j.drake
The "Create a persistent home" script carries an option of saving the persistent home to a file (which is what I assume your knoppix.img file to be), or dedicating an entire partition to the persistent home. I chose to do the latter, as I already had a large partition mapped out from a previous Mandrake dual boot install
OK, now I get it. Pardon me for being dense.
I thought you were saving your persistent home to a file (aka "knoppix.img").
(So, since I've just installed Knoppix to hard disk, with /home on a separate partition, I'll have to play around with the live CD and see if it will use the /home partition, like you're trying to do.)

Originally Posted by
j.drake
I already had a large partition mapped out from a previous Mandrake dual boot install
How big is it? 5GB is enough to install Knoppix, and you can choose to install LILO to the root of that partition, rather than your MBR, and use a boot floppy.

Originally Posted by
j.drake
Dual boot HD installs are neat, and once Knoppix standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and works the bugs out of captive NTFS, and other issues, such that I can just tee it up and go without cheatcodes and workarounds, I may try dual booting from HD again (after a thorough backup, this time). Until then, I'm still a little gun shy, and would prefer to stick with live CD and persistent home, if it will work. I have to share this computer with a wife who has no patience for the challenges of working with or debugging linux installs.
I know what you mean, having ended up with broken dual boots on a couple of occasions -- and the last time it happened, I was sure I knew what I was doing. That was painful.
Fortunately, my wife and I now have separate computers (she doesn't want to deal with the outcome of my experiments either
). And I've found that using the Windows version of GRUB, made by the Topologilinux folks, run by NTLdr, works really well (but it only works if you've got WinNT/2K/XP, not Win9x).
Similar Threads
-
By ddrex in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
-
By Serow225 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:36 AM
-
By Dooley in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
-
By permutations in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:54 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00