Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I ve installed knoppix but cant boot

  1. #1

    I ve installed knoppix but cant boot

    I ve installed knoppix as a second OS... In my only and single HD C, i installed windows and knoppix.... I ve followed all this procedures:

    [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174

    My problems are:

    I couldnt proceed with step 9

    (9) When prompted to make a boot floppy, make sure you make a boot floppy!. It's REQUIRED in a later step.
    Because i ve a laptop with a external USB, and when it asked me and i said yes, it couldnt create the boot floppy because its an external and couldnt find it....

    As I didnt have the boot floppy, I had to modify this steps:

    (10) Once Knoppix setup is done, remove the floppy and reboot. Make sure Windows still works. After doing so, pat yourself on the back... the hardest part is over!!

    (11) Next, start up your computer from the boot floppy. It should load the copy of Knoppix that you just installed. If this works, then pat yourself on the back again! You're almost done!

    (12) Once Knoppix is running, get to a console/terminal again. Make sure your boot floppy is still inserted!

    (13) Issue the command dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1. This will copy the Linux bootsector to a file. Replace hdx# with your installation partition (like hdb2)

    (14) Now, insert a blank floppy into your floppy drive. Issue the command mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0. This will format the floppy to a Windows/FAT12 filesystem.

    (15) Issue mount /dev/fd0

    (16) Now, copy that bootsector image! cp /bootsect.knx /floppy

    (17) Take the floppy out. Reboot into Windows.
    After the installation was finish, I when to step 13 without rebooting.... And copied the bootsect.knx to an ftp....

    (18 ) Copy your bootsect.knx into C:\.

    (19) Start a MS-DOS prompt. Type in the following: (each newline = new command)

    c:
    cd \
    attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
    copy boot.ini boot.old
    notepad boot.ini

    (20) Notepad will start, with Boot.ini loaded. Edit the first line, 'Timeout=30'. Change it to 'Timeout=5'. This changes your boot selection timeout to 5 seconds, instead of 30.

    (21) At the very end of the file, add C:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix"

    (22) Save the file. Get back to that command prompt. Issue attrib +h +r +s boot.ini.

    (23) Reboot. Now, you should have two options: your previous Windows OS and Knoppix. Done!
    later i booted windows xp pro, downloaded the bootsect.knx from the ftp site... and followed steps 19-23.....
    so when I reboot, and chose knoppix, I only see a black screen and a "_" character at the beginning.... as if the bootsect.knx were empty.... and obvious, it never boots knoppix....

    Since so, I cant reboot my knoppix... I'd like to know if there's a way or how can I boot my knoppix ?

    Thanks in advance, I hope all you Linux's Gurus can help me :P

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    Does Knoppix see the floppy drive at all?

    If so, run "mkboot -r" to create a boot disk, see man mkboot for more info. Then go back to step 13.

    After the installation was finish, I when to step 13 without rebooting.... And copied the bootsect.knx to an ftp....
    You didn't have the floppy mounted when trying to make the boot disk did you?

    If you were unable to create the boot disk, you basicly copied nothing to the HD.

    BD

  3. #3
    When I was installing I didnt have my usb external floppy mounted... The knoppix didnt recognize it...

    How can I mount my external usb floppy ? If I mount it before the installation, will it create the boot disk ? Do I ve to install it again and make the boot disk ?

  4. #4
    When I was installing I didnt have my usb external floppy mounted... The knoppix didnt recognize it...

    How can I mount my external usb floppy ? If I mount it before the installation, will it create the boot disk ? Do I ve to install it again and make the boot disk ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    OK I must be missing something. Why do you go through that painful process here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174
    when all you have to do is install lilo or grub to mbr???? I just don't get it!

    Maybe someone can tell me why this is so hard?

    I can't help you w/ your problem unless you just want to install grub.

  6. #6
    ok... so help me to install GRUB

  7. #7

Similar Threads

  1. Installed Knoppix 3.9 to SATA HDD but it wont boot.
    By fechin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 02:26 AM
  2. Installed, yet NO boot
    By gamezealot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 09:43 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. CD Boot works, HDD Installed boot fails at second hurdle
    By Rib in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
  5. installed on to HD but can't boot
    By coreymon77 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58