Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: rpm instead of apt-get

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    rpm instead of apt-get

    I'm used to installing apps to my hdinstalled PCs using apt-get. What do you do when what you need to install only comes as an rpm? I'm trying to install Object Based Phoenix BASIC (a vb clone for linux) from http://www.janus-software.com but phoenix is distributed only as rpms.

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    You can use alien to convert the rpm into a deb.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I tried alien, but I must be doing something wrong. In a shell I ran alien blah.phoenix.blah.rpm and just sat there forever without anything happening....

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It should work, but what's with the blah?

    From memory (and after half a bottle of lambrusco):

    alien name_of_package.rpm

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Sorry, that's what I menat by blahlah... = whateverthenameof the appis....

    Is alien slow if the rpm is a few MBs? I think there are 2 rpms for this package to work. One is almost 2MB and the other almost 4MB.

    Thanx,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If memory serves me it's:
    alien -i bläh.rpm (to install directly)
    alien -d bläh.rpm (to just convert to .deb)

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Actually, youre thinking of the dpkg command, markus. For RPMs use "alien --install blah.rpm".

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, it's a bit faster to write -i than --install and I do believe they do the same thing. This time I even checked man alien.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    I think i used -i instead of --install out of habit and it didnt work, but my memory is fuzzy since it was a day ago >.>

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    That's nothing, my memory is fuzzy all the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99