-
Having problems starting Knoppix...
I've never tried Linux before, but I would really like to do so. However, I'm having problems getting this OS started.
---
Computer 1
When I get past the boot prompt, I get this message:
You have passed an undefined mode number. Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs
I try all the options for the video numbers (0 through 6, i think it is), and I try the scan. I also tried skipping the video mode list.... but no matter what, the OS won't start. It gives me a blank screen.
I've checked the md5 checksums, and everything's fine there. Also, I did burned the disc as an ISO image file. I didn't extract.
---
Computer 2
Here's what happens... I get the message about the undefined mode number. When I get past that, this is what happens..............
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit.
Additional builtin commands available
cat mount unmount
insmod rmmod lsmod
Knoppix#
I get a prompt right after "Knoppix#".
---
Computer 3
Cloop errors. Knoppix does not start.
---
I verified the md5s, which were identical. Also, I burned it three different times, but neither cd seems to work. I even made the third burn on computer 2, but I'm still having the same exact problems. =/
Anyone have some help to offer? thanks in advance!
-
I got Knoppix-STD and Damn Small Linux working, but I still can't get 3.4 to work.
maybe I should post some info on my system... (Computer 1)
Gateway Solo 1450 Laptop
1.2 ghz Pentium III
256 mb RAM
64mb video - Intel Graphics Controller
wireless network connection
-
-
I'm guessing it doesn't like the VGA text mode.
So, try stuff like
knoppix vga=1
or 2 or 3 or 4 etc.
Also, does it support standard modes, such as 1024x768 800x600
then you could do a
knoppix screen=800x600 noddc
(noddc turns off monitor detection)
I remember seeing a lookup table for VGA modes which would force the linux kernel to use certain resolutions color depths by using vga=xxx where xxx is a number like 792
found it
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/1...bdev_grub.html
-
Thanks, I shall try your suggestions then report my results. Hopefully it will work. >_>
-
-

Originally Posted by
grayfox777
No luck.... -_-
did you boot up with
knoppix testcd
to make sure the disk was good?
On my home systems, I find that my laptop doesn't like media burned on Memorex disks, but is happy with knoppix cd's burned to noname disks.(even if I burn the memorex disks slow, doesn't help)
so, maybe try a different brand of media.
-
k.... I'll try tomorrow... well later today, rather.
Similar Threads
-
By KIRAN in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 11:26 PM
-
By wurm in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
-
By Garibaldi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
-
By robamler in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-02-2004, 07:57 PM
-
By garrettvm in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 04:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

IBM mainframe circuitboard untested condition
$120.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

SwissGear Wenger Mainframe 16 Laptop Briefcase Black SKU 64038010 Excellent Cond
$33.95

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)
$6999.99

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00