-
Checksum error
I don't know if this has anything to do with the target machine being a laptop.
This is my first attempt at creating a knoppix cd and using it.
I have tried 4 different ways to create the cd:
1. download May 10th version via ftp, burn via Ahead Nero.
2. download May 10th version via http, burn via burnatonce.
3. download May 17th version via http, burn via Ahead Nero.
4. download May 17th version via bittorrent, burn via burnatonce.
So, I have burnt 4 cds.
They all give the error:
ISOLINUX 2.04 (Debian, 2003-06-06) isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...
when I try to boot on my HP Pavilion zt1135 that has no hard drive.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
-
Re: Checksum error

Originally Posted by
nroose
I don't know if this has anything to do with the target machine being a laptop.
I have tried 4 different ways to create the cd:
1. download May 10th version via ftp, burn via Ahead Nero.
2. download May 10th version via http, burn via burnatonce.
3. download May 17th version via http, burn via Ahead Nero.
4. download May 17th version via bittorrent, burn via burnatonce.
Any suggestions?
Hello,
I don't think it is related to the fact that the target is a laptop, either you can test it on a another computer.
But it looks like the boot table is missing, when you burn your CD.
Frankly speaking I have run many times into this, now I'm starting to use CDBurnerXP Pro, for burning iso CD.
hopes it helps.
Regards,
Laza
-
Senior Member
registered user
have you checked the md5sum BEFORE burning?
-
Well
I figured out yesterday that the cd works fine on my desktop. I have had lots of problems with this laptop, so perhaps it could just be the laptop cd drive.
I did check the md5sum before burning.
-
Senior Member
registered user
try burning the cd at lowest available speed (1x?) some CDroms refuse to properly read cd's burned too fast OR with wrong cdmedia.
another thing, try running one of thse cleaning CD's. might be dirty lens.
if nothing above try burning slowly on a different brand of CDr
-

Originally Posted by
OErjan
try burning the cd at lowest available speed (1x?) some CDroms refuse to properly read cd's burned too fast OR with wrong cdmedia.
another thing, try running one of thse cleaning CD's. might be dirty lens.
if nothing above try burning slowly on a different brand of CDr
Well, I have tried 3 different brands of media. I have tried burning slowly (4x is as slow as burnatonce and Ahead Nero would go).
I now have a lens cleaning disk but I don't have a way to start up the PC to make the disk go to the track that has the brushes on it, so I don't think it is doing the cleaning...
Unless any of you have any brilliant ideas, I think I will give up on this particular quest for now.
I now have a vast collection of various versions of linux on bootable cds!
-
Senior Member
registered user
When ruuning the laptop under windows, can you read the knoppix CD OK? If you have +/- 700 Mb hd diskpace free on a fat partition, you might consider the so-called poor man's install. (check the "Docs" section of this site).
-

Originally Posted by
baldyeti
When ruuning the laptop under windows, can you read the knoppix CD OK? If you have +/- 700 Mb hd diskpace free on a fat partition, you might consider the so-called poor man's install. (check the "Docs" section of this site).
The hard drive for this machine crashed hard a few weeks ago. After getting a data retrieval service to get my data back, I don't have money to get a new drive or a new laptop. So I was hoping to make this an experimental cd only linux box. I don't have a floppy drive for it either. The only way to get it to boot will be with the cd, or perhaps using the network if that is possible somehow.
-
Senior Member
registered user
etherbot might work, hmmm, check the bios settings, should be ab option for it there.
hmmm tried to "manually" spin the cleaning disk (power of) check the position required for reading head, remove disk, gently move head, replace disk and spin disk manually again, carefull when positioning reader-head though, it might break if you are unlucky.
there is a spring-loaded ratchet there (on 60+% of drives) but it might get damaged (or not be pressent on YOUR drive)...
or perhaps 100% manually, use a soft lint-free tissue and GENTLY brush the lens. we are talking a corner of tissue merely touching...
-
May be a problem with defective HP Pavilion ZTxxxx BIOS's
I'm having the same problem with the zt1230. What a piece of *(&&*(& this is. It looks like the BIOS is defective. This is a response from Peter Anvin http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/sysli...ry/001365.html to a guy with a HP pavilion also.
My only other thought is that the DVD/CDROM combo drive is "funny" and doesn't tolerate burned CD's correct. Of course, this wouldn't explain why it works fine in Winblows XP.
[email protected]
Similar Threads
-
By carollahany in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:30 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 17
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
-
By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$166.24

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$165.58