Have you tried Wavelan configuration under Network/Internet from the Knoppix menu?
I have a HDD install of Knoppix on a Compaq Presario laptop. Everything has been doing just fine, but when I put in a linksys card to connect to my router, nothing happens. So I restarted and watched but could not see it recognizing the card. I saw some of the other posts about net card config and stuff but it just says that it can't find the card. I am sure this is pretty standard, a Linksys 802.11 b card. Can anyone help me?
Have you tried Wavelan configuration under Network/Internet from the Knoppix menu?
I've had luck first running PPPoE config, which gets my green light on the card to turn on. Next I run wlcardconfig, entering only my SSID (network name), and then my encryption key (9 or 10 digit number I have already assigned). The rest of the settings I am able to get away with leaving blank.
After I do that, I'm able to see the internet from my laptop over my wireless network.
Sorry about the non technical reply, but I'm pretty much a newbie.
Jerry
Open a terminal and then
Note the interface by running iwconfig most likely it should be either eth1 or eth0. Once you have noted that then
su
<type root passwd>
iwconfig ethX essid <networkname> key <wepkey>
Try ping www.knopppix.net if that returns response you are set. Otherwise try
ifconfig up
That should work. replace ethX with whatever interface iwconfig command reports as the wifi enabled for linksys (eth0 or eth1). If that does not work, replace ethX with wifi0 (Normally iwconfig reports two interfaces as wifi enabled, I don't know why that happens) and repeat the above steps.
exit su
I got myself pretty much by trial and error of all the permutation and combination.

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$594.99
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"
$24.99
Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99
LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99
Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art
$225.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM
$189.99