Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: sources.list

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    sources.list

    How do I edit this file so apt-get doesn't get broken after an update and a few installs!

    BTW, I'm using KNOPPIX 3.4, clusterKNOPPIX 3.4 and QUANTIAN 0.4.9.6 on debian knoppix-installed PCs. I can't get update or install to work at all in clusterKNOPPIX or QUANTIAN. Anyone know how to fix that?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    what is happening exactly? is it not connecting to a mirror or something?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Might be because of ftp2.de.debian.org being down? If so just take off the 2 as others have suggested.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I foget which site it is, but it gets stuck on there and times-out. Also, in KNOPPIX I can apt-get install just about anything I want after apt-get update (after knoppix-installer).

    However, in QUANTIAN and clusterKNOPPIX, I cannot update or install. If I reinstall my PCs at home with either of these remasters, my kids will kill me if I don't apt-get install bzflag bzflag-server freecraft quake2!

    TIA,
    AJG

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    Ok the best way to do this is to get "apt-spy" from the debian packages you can google it

    install that

    then run

    apt-spy
    apt-get install base-config
    apt-setup

    if apt-spy isnt working out right you probably have to do

    apt-spy update
    then
    apt-spy

    still if you get problems then just get the base-config package from the debian packages site.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Great! Thanx for the info. Sounds like just what I need.

    OK, I'm at home right now but I'm installing apt-spy by sshing in to one of school PCs in question. apt-spy is now running. Cool, I see what its doing. Its trying to login to known debian repositories and download a file that should be common to all. As it does this it tracks which sites timeout and makes a note to avoid these, I suppose. Also its benchmarking how fast each site is. Where does apt=spy get its list of sites, I wonder? Looks like this will take a long time....

    Well, once apt-spy fixes my sources.list can I simply copy this file to all my other PCs that suffer from the same ailments or do I have to run apt-spy on each one?

    BTW, after apt-spy ran, I found only 3 stable sites listed in sources.list! OK, out of force of habbit, after I switched those entries to unstable, I ran apt-get update and then installed everything I wanted! Thanx again.

    Just wondering though, what apt-get install base-config would do (I skipped that step)?

    TIA,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  2. Apt Sources list
    By Timo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:50 AM
  3. sources.list
    By patiscool in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:42 AM
  4. sources.list
    By tsitras in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
  5. Recommended sources.list
    By rozen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00