Could some kind person please explain to this complete Linux "noob"
just how I go about getting my ES1869 sound chipset to be recognized by Knoppix?
This is my only remaining problem with hardware recognition or even setup, as I have just about everything else worked out (Internet, Mail, News, Gaim, Networking, Printing, saving to floppy and much more) for my needs.
I have tried the soundconfig utility even as root, but fail to accomplish any config! I see a list of ESS cards but not my 1869, if this matters?
I would appreciate any help or insight here, as I would eventually like to install my Knoppix config permanently to HDD as the sole OS on this ancient POS Compaq beast I inherited!
Thanks
Matt![]()

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$729.99
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00