Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What Program to Use?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA, Louisiana, Oil City
    Posts
    20

    What Program to Use?

    I need to keep my movie library (Name of movie and location of DVD) on my knoppix setup (chip usb drive).

    I need a kind of database program or should I use open office calc to do this for me? I'd kinda like to use a database type program.

    What program do you suggest and how do you start and connect it to a database?

    I'm currently using Knoppix 3.4

    Thanks for your advice.

    Kenneth

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA, Louisiana, Oil City
    Posts
    20
    ..

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    The database No. 1 on linux is Postgresql.

    But it needs a lot of learning to manage a database - I would dissuade if you don't know sql.

    OpenOffice isn't very fast and complicated to combine with other programs.

    How complicated is your datastructure?
    For a simple structure:

    No Tittle Year
    1 Foo 2001
    2 Bar 2004
    ...

    I would use a grep script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # finddvd (c) LPGL 2004 user unknown :) 
    #
    grep $1 /home/bothersome/data/dvd.lst
    make it executable, put it into the patch, create my dvd.lst - file and use it like this:
    Code:
    finddvd Foo
    finddvd 2003
    voila.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    User Unknown,

    Cool idea... I take it that grep is going to return the complete line that it finds your search text in ?

    If that is the case, you could easily add more information on the single line, right?

    ID Title Year MediaType RunningTime (in minutes) Rating
    ...
    532 Labyrinth 1999 DVD 102 PG
    533 Matrix Reloaded 2003 DVD 138 R
    ...

    If I know grep, as stated above, you could then search for all your movies in a single year, or that have a specific rating, or specific media type, or a "partial" title name, (this is good when you don't know the "complete" name of a movie), and the "data" file is easily updatable, or printable. Cool.

    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I would suggest office 'calc'(I believe it is the Excel equivalent). People has been using Spreadsheet for this kind of usages for years, dated back to 1-2-3 or earlier(visicalc?).

    The advantage is that you can have some relatively user friendly data entry interface and can usually manipulate the data relatively easy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    cuddles: yes - it returns the whole lines, which may lead to unexpected results, when asking for the year 2003:

    finddvd 2003

    533 Matrix Reloaded 2003 DVD 138 R
    2003 Labyrinth 1999 DVD 102 PG

    but from a pragmatic view, it's perhaps the smallest and fastest solution possible.

    If you need something more sophisticated, (year 1999-200), OpenOffice Calc or Gnumeric are advisable.

    When you really store related data, - producer, fIlmmusik, prices, vendors, actors ... a rdbm - database will be useful.

    I use the grep-technique for my telefon/ adresslist, with the benefit, that the data is stored on a win-vfat-fs, so I can grep the data from both systems, (which was more usefull in former times, when I used windows from time to tijme) .
    A win-grep and and editors which don't care to much about line-delimiters is of course needed.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    6
    This may not fit with what you are looking for, but I use this program for my DVD, VHS, home movie collection.

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/videodb/

    Steve

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    USA, Louisiana, Oil City
    Posts
    20
    Thanks guys!!

    You've been a great help.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 06:41 PM
  2. How do I update a program?
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 06:21 PM
  3. Is it possible to install a program from a CD?
    By xaviers2002 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 04:50 AM
  4. Which MD5 Program?
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 09:36 PM
  5. locked up program
    By TheTempest in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99