-
Junior Member
registered user
USB 2.0 not utilizing high speed in Linux
Anyone have any luck at all getting any version of Linux to utilize the high speed mode of their USB 2.0 card?
I have no problems with getting any of my USB stuff to work in Knoppix 3.4 or Debian or Mandrake 10.0. But all version are only using the USB in the slow mode (v1.1). It would be nice to get it to high speed. In Win2000 I get a huge speed increase. I can copy a 4 meg file in less than 2 seconds in Win2000. On Linux it takes about 7 seconds or about 600KB/s.
Is there some driver that must be loaded to get the speed up?
Using an 80Gig external USB drive in slow mode can be painfull.
Card in question is a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card.
Kenneth
-
su-to-root and:
'modprobe ehci-hcd'
Maybe then have a look:
'dmesg |grep ehci'
Then to have it start (as it should) every time you boot into knoppix, add ehci-hcd to /etc/modules-2.x.xx
-
Re: USB 2.0 not utilizing high speed in Linux

Originally Posted by
Bothersome
Anyone have any luck at all getting any version of Linux to utilize the high speed mode of their USB 2.0 card?
I have no problems with getting any of my USB stuff to work in Knoppix 3.4 or Debian or Mandrake 10.0. But all version are only using the USB in the slow mode (v1.1). It would be nice to get it to high speed. In Win2000 I get a huge speed increase. I can copy a 4 meg file in less than 2 seconds in Win2000. On Linux it takes about 7 seconds or about 600KB/s.
Is there some driver that must be loaded to get the speed up?
Using an 80Gig external USB drive in slow mode can be painfull.
Card in question is a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card.
Kenneth
Hei
Until yesterday I was sure my Asus p4pe motherboard's usb hubs were 1.1 &/or 2.0. I found however that the 3 hubs available on the back of my machine are actually 1.1 only, while the single 2.0 hub requires installation of game port i/o hardware!
Are you sure yours are 2.0 hubs? Info Center USB devices shows the right info in my case..
regards
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'm sure. The exact same hardware/cabling/ports/drives show a large difference in speed with reguard to Win2000 vs Knoppix/Debian/Mandrake 10.
I'll give kelmo's suggestions a try when I get home.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try booting with the linux26 cheatcode .
-

Originally Posted by
kelmo
su-to-root and:
'modprobe ehci-hcd'
Maybe then have a look:
'dmesg |grep ehci'
Then to have it start (as it should) every time you boot into knoppix, add ehci-hcd to /etc/modules-2.x.xx
Hi Kelmo:
Your suggested fix worked for my problem with USB2 throughput but can you please explain in more detail what you mean about changing /etc/modules-2.x.xx? I can only find a /etc/modules and it doesn't contain anything.
Also, would I have to burn a new CD to make this change permanent or is there some way to change files in /etc without a burn?
I've come up with a way to modify knoppix.sh in such a way that it is not overridden by doing a save Knoppix configuration so I have put the modprobe command in there for now.
Thanks
Pete
-
el_supremo, I was commenting on a hdd install of knoppix where each modules list 'wears' the suffix of the kernel it corresponds to. (/etc/modules-2.65 & /etc/modules-2.4.26) There also exists /etc/modules, which transiently represents the contents of the module lists for each specific kernel as they are active.
In knoppix cd mode there is some 'magic' that handles kernel modules automatically, hence the success of the distro. So it would be very difficult to 'properly' modify a remaster with such changes without intimate knowledge of how the hardware autoconfig works. There may exist a way to make the changes to a remastered cd which would work for only your system?!
-
-

Originally Posted by
kelmo
su-to-root and:
'modprobe ehci-hcd'
Maybe then have a look:
'dmesg |grep ehci'
Then to have it start (as it should) every time you boot into knoppix, add ehci-hcd to /etc/modules-2.x.xx
FWIW, this doesn't seem to work with the 2.6 kernel of Knoppix 3.6 after an HD Install. Though it works just fine for 2.4.27. Does it work for you if you run off the CD using Knoppix26?
Thanks,
Ewan
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-27-2005, 02:47 AM
-
By nishtya in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 05:11 AM
-
By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
-
By migasf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
-
By MPW in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)
$149.00

Cisco NCS-57C3-MOD-SYS NCS 57C3 Base Chassis Grade A - Dual 1600w Powers
$13000.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00