Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: The Ultimate CD for friends and family

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    The Ultimate CD for friends and family

    Excuse my ignorance if it shows below. I can't help but think that Knoppix is the perfect platform for internet PCs for people who don't really understand PCs (or should I say windows!).. I am quite PC literate and know what I need to do to keep my windows machine operational. ie backup, anti-virus, firewall, spyware, tuning, etc. What bugs the hell out of me is the number of PCs I have given to friends and family and they (thru no fault of their own) end up with a virus or worm or somehow manage to screw up a PC I spent considerable time setting up.

    SO.. WHATS THE IDEA.. A Knoppix/Linux script/GUI and maybe even a Windows one (to suck in Windows users) that could be run to create a preset Knoppix CD configuration that was tailored for them or whoever. It would include:
    *) Internet connectivity configuration details as appropriate. Modem initi scripts, PPOE credentials, ISDN settings
    *) Screen config.
    *) Printer configuration.
    *) Scanner configuration.
    *) Home location (HDD, USB memory stick, other?)
    *) Mouse config
    *) Specific VNC config (actived only when they initiate it) so that I or some other IT wizz could remotely support their Knoppix use over/thru the internet...
    *) etc, etc.

    It would need to have firewalling turned on by default and I'm sure a bunch of you other guys can nominate other configurational settings which would ensure that the PC was as safe as it could possible be!

    The end result would be that friends and family could still keep their Windows PC for internet disconnected operation, but when they wanted to connect to the internet they could use Knoppix. OR how knows they might even trash their windows config totally.

    I understand that Save config and Persistent home go part of the way there.. But as I understand it, with V3.4 you have to specify myconf on startup. I want something (and I am sure a load of other techos would like it for friends and family) where their 'friends' simply insert CD (Knoppix), Boot floppy (something like smartbootmgr if required for booting of CD), USB memory stick (Knoppix configuration and perhaps Home storage) and away they go.

    A mechanism to hold Knoppix and configuration info on the master CD would be even better. Being able to develop this Knoppix plus config CD interactivley CDRW would be great also..

    If anyone has ever taken a look at CoyoteLinux (http://www.coyotelinux.com) they'll know what I mean. You can either run a Linux Script or a Windows GUI which creates a floppy boot firewall containing configurational information and in the example of Coyote Linux also the linux files to make it all work.

    What yu think? Lets convert the world and make all our jobs easier. I don't want to make money out of this, just make all our jobs easier!

    GregJ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Welcome GregJ,

    Thanks for your ideas.
    KNOPPIX has a lot to offer along these lines.

    Remastering is the usual method to make a new
    KNOPPIX.

    You might look at two add project scripts:

    grow-knoppix: copies a KNOPPIX version and places
    it onto a DVD. It can be configured to
    boot in a preset way with no intervention.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11150

    burn-home: uses a CDRW in addition to the
    boot KNOPPIX CD.

    Multiple disks can be specialized to do one task well -- and
    like a toaster, can do its thing well with only
    a very small chance of getting fouled up.

    Thank you for your enthusiasm and commitment
    to hlep others. I hope you will let us know how you
    have specialied any KNOPPIX or KANOTIX versions.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

Similar Threads

  1. copying knoppix from i friends cd
    By evil_wiccan in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM
  3. Help with Fast Ethernet PCI Realtek RTL8139 Family
    By mrfocus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 03:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00