Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Installing Knoppix on a old a$$ computer.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    inside your computer
    Posts
    20

    Installing Knoppix on a old a$$ computer.

    Okay I have an old Coastline CM Micro computer. This piece of 5hit is like from 1990 . Well I can't boot up knoppix from cd-rom, only from c: drive and a:drive. I d-loaded knoppix and burned it to a c.d. I don't know if I have to use nero to burn it to a c.d I just copied and pasted, then burned. I know you've all answered this question but mine is different. Its on an old a$$ computer. Does anybody know what I can do?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    21
    I'm pretty sure you have to use Nero to burn the image rather then just copy and pasting it.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerunk
    I'm pretty sure you have to use Nero to burn the image rather then just copy and pasting it.


    i do not think knoppix can run on such an old machine.
    I have an old machine too . A pentium1 with 34ram THe only linux distro i could run on it was damn small linux which is only 50mb

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    inside your computer
    Posts
    20
    Is it worth it to just install small linux? Cause i need an O.S cause when I start it up it says missing O.S. so i dont know what to do. I dont have like 200 floppys to boot it up from the floppy drive I only have like about 20 floppys. What *nix based system can I actually run in an old computer?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Here's a howto for burning iso's with Nero: http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm

    I can't say if it's worth while installing a minimalist linux. It depends on what you want from it. Most 1-floppy linuxes seem to be routers/firewalls, and you won't get a nice desktop with lots of goodies unless you have the ram. I'd say 128 MB for KDE but others may argue
    If you have 64 MB go with Fluxbox or IceWM.

    Here's some distros including floppy based ones: http://www.linuxbasis.com/distributions.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by kb
    What *nix based system can I actually run in an old computer?
    Debian. And you only need a few flopies to install it. Now realize that this isn't a windows installer but it's also not that hard. Go to debian.org and look at the floppy images for i386. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to install Debian via floppy on an old Compaq.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    go for damn small linux. it has a browser (glinks), few texteditors (vim, emacs), xmms (winamplike), mail (sylpheed)...

    more info on their homepage:
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    it requires 64M ram for graphical. and 16 for textmode.
    here is a interestng thing for you (486 33Mhz with 16 M ram)
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by kb
    What *nix based system can I actually run in an old computer?
    On The Screen Savers, they mentioned Menuet, which is written in assembly language and fits on a floppy. It's not *nix, but it might work for you. http://www.menuetos.org/

    JD

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    I think he should look into using Minix.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    tomsrtbt moved to hdd and reconfigured would work. or floppix + new kernel with hdd support...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Computer First Aid Using Knoppix
    By namnemet in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:05 AM
  2. Installing Knoppix on a computer with Winxp already on it.
    By sethosayher in forum General Support
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 06:40 AM
  3. Can't boot knoppix on old computer!
    By Jefff in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 08:13 AM
  4. knoppix and new computer
    By markleong in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. Knoppix broke my computer...
    By lnxusr in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


8x Gold Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Transistor Cordwood Modules B2500/B5000 picture

8x Gold Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Transistor Cordwood Modules B2500/B5000

$149.95



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips picture

Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips

$79.00



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Oracle for Macintosh Developer’s Kit v1.0a (1988–1989) – Complete • UNUSED picture

Oracle for Macintosh Developer’s Kit v1.0a (1988–1989) – Complete • UNUSED

$1600.00