-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh yes, Champagne, my kpackage certainly does fetch the dependencies when I choose to install something (in the next dialog, seeing the dependencies I have sometimes said, FORGET it
when I don't have time for a big download for what I thought would be a 200kb proggy).
Does yours function like this: After picking something to install in the first dialog by checking the little button for it, I click on "install marked", after it requests root password the next dialog that comes up lists on the left-hand side the package(s) I checked off AND any dependencies for them. The checkbox "ignore missing" must NOT be checked off - it should be unchecked in order to get the dependencies. Perhaps some versions of kpackage had that checked by default?
When you click on Install, the right hand pane will give a quick little synopsis of what is going to happen, how many packages to be upgraded, new, and (be careful!) removed as it starts downloading.
It is at this point I have sometimes hollered WHOA
I don't know what it was earlier today I was going to install that had a conflict (since as usual I had picked out a bunch of unrelated things on my shopping "spree") but it was going to UNinstall the bulk of KDE
CANCEL
Barring stuff like that, try it out on something simple sometime. In the first dialog look for a little package that you don't have a dependency for (which will be noted by it being in italics in the right hand pane with the description of the pkg you are interested in). Then go to install it. You should see it bring in the dependencies in the next dialog.
I guess I will be called a lamer for not using the command line for this (or at least not much anymore) but I really love being able to scroll/stroll through the "aisles" of the "store". It is one of the few things in linux that I genuinely prefer having a front end/gui for.
I did try synaptic. To be honest I forget why I didn't carry on with it. Perhaps will take another look it. Installing an update to synaptic with KPackage as I type
Similar Threads
-
By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-10-2005, 05:43 PM
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 04:07 PM
-
By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM
-
By JLJR in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 01:24 AM
-
By Madcatz in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00