Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ethernet Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Viterbo (Italia)
    Posts
    8

    Ethernet Help

    Hi all, I'm italian (sorry for my english!).
    I have a problem: I have installed knoppix 3.4 on my notebook's hard disk, but my network connection (LAN) doesn't work.
    I have one integrated ethernet card that Knoppix recognize fine. I have dual boot: XP and Knoppix.
    I write my IP, DNS and gateway, but I can't connect to our LAN.

    Thanks in advance

    Edgardo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Is your card recognized?
    Code:
    lspci
    Does it have an i.p.?
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    Can you bring up the interface w/ pump?
    Code:
    pump
    What about restarting the network?
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Viterbo (Italia)
    Posts
    8

    Ethernet help reply

    Hi, sorry for reply delay.
    I had done lspci (see attach text with lspci + ifconfig eth0 + pump + restarting network).
    I must re-configure every time the ethernet card with IP.DNS and gateway (you can see in the attach text that the first time my ethernet card is not recognized, then it is necessary to rewrite the configuration!)

    root@box:/home/edgardo# lspci
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400] Chipset Host Bridge
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
    0000:00:07.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
    0000:00:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
    0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
    0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
    0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    0000:00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Intel 537 [AC97 Modem] (rev 80)
    0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)
    root@box:/home/edgardo#

    root@box:/home/edgardo# ifconfig eth0 (****note: it is the first time, then it is necessary to rewrite the configuration!)
    eth0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-C0-9F-00-00-10-2A-98-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:2 dropped:2 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    root@box:/home/edgardo#
    eth0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-C0-9F-00-00-10-2A-98-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    inet addr:192.168.0.205 Bcast:192.168.0.205 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:2 dropped:2 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    root@box:/home/edgardo#
    root@box:/home/edgardo# pump
    Operation failed.
    root@box:/home/edgardo#


    root@box:/home/edgardo# /etc/init.d/networking restart
    Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
    Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.
    root@box:/home/edgardo#

    Thanks a lot!

    Edgardo

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Perhaps this post is of some assistance:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19004

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Viterbo (Italia)
    Posts
    8

    Ethernet help reply

    Dear mzilikazi, I edited my /etc/network/interfaces.I have a static I.P,.you see:

    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(, ifdown(

    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.205
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.205
    gateway 192.168.0.1


    I re-installed knoppix but I can't connect to LAN. I have tried two hours.
    Where do I a mistake? Where is the error(s)?

    Thanks

    Edgardo

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Viterbo (Italia)
    Posts
    8

    Ethernet card solution

    Dear mzilikazi,
    I found the problem: network card configuration program recognize TWO ethernet cards (eth0 and eth1): eth0 is my firewire (1394) eth1 is my ethernet card!!!
    Now I set eth1 card and now it is all OK: I can access Internet.
    Maybe this information is useful for notebook's users with firewire.
    I apologized to you for not telling that my notebook have one firewire and one ethernet card, and that netconfig recognized two ethernet card.

    Thanks a lot for your help

    Edgardo

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Glad you got it working! Also - thanks for posting how you solved the problem.

Similar Threads

  1. ethernet problem
    By jjanderson5 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 11:10 PM
  2. Ethernet Issues
    By larz in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 04:55 AM
  3. ethernet III
    By djief in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
  4. ethernet authentication
    By nimsim in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:26 AM
  5. Help with ethernet card...
    By Koji-Kabuto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 04:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10g Transceivers ( 5 Pack ) picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10g Transceivers ( 5 Pack )

$70.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Penguin Computing Arctica 4806XP 48-Port 10G SFP+ 6x 40G QSFP+ Switch Dual PSU picture

Penguin Computing Arctica 4806XP 48-Port 10G SFP+ 6x 40G QSFP+ Switch Dual PSU

$385.00