-
Unable to connect to the internet
Hi everyone,
I can't seem to find the answer to this, so I decided to make a thread about this.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP1 installed, and all the updates available are installed also. I got Knoppix v3.2 (I downloaded it about 1 year ago, and haven't updated since for some reasons). What I did was reboot from the CD, which went fine. Then I opened up the browser, and it wouldn't connect. So I ran "Kommand", and typed in lspci, and got a list of some stuff on my computer. One was my ethernet card (nVidia...dunno what else it said about it though). So then I ran ifconfig eth0, which returned a "no device found" error. Then I tried pump, but I have to be admin to run it (forgot howto do this), and then restarting the network also failed.
More info: I have an external cabel/dsl box, which is ethernet. I get my IP from DHCP, and my IP isn't static.
So, basically, what I'm asking is does anyone know how to fix this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
1. Let me start by saying that I have no clue on Earth, BUT
2. I'd be really curious to see if a newer version of Knoppix would help. Like you, I started with 3.2 and put it aside, and it is amazing to me how many more drivers and apps that 3.4 has.
3. In a console, 'su' makes you root; 'sudo' makes you root for the particular command.
4. I'm running ADSL right now with DHCP on v3.4 - no configuration needed.
JD
-

Originally Posted by
j.drake
1. Let me start by saying that I have no clue on Earth, BUT
2. I'd be really curious to see if a newer version of Knoppix would help. Like you, I started with 3.2 and put it aside, and it is amazing to me how many more drivers and apps that 3.4 has.
3. In a console, 'su' makes you root; 'sudo' makes you root for the particular command.
4. I'm running ADSL right now with DHCP on v3.4 - no configuration needed.
JD
I downloaded 3.4, and booted it up. It detects it when I run ifconfig eth0, but it still won't connect.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well Knoppix 3.4 does support onboard nvidia ethernet just fine. When you do ifconfig do you see eth0? Does it have an i.p. address? It would look like so:
Code:
$ sudo ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:2A:B4:A2:76
inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:284169 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:394896 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:10608 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:65534498 (62.4 MiB) TX bytes:442301128 (421.8 MiB)
Interrupt:9 Base address:0x9f00
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:59151 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:59151 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:4791260 (4.5 MiB) TX bytes:4791260 (4.5 MiB)
You can always try /etc/init.d/networking restart or pump then see if you get an i.p. address. If you do get an i.p. can you ping inside the LAN? Out?
-
Same problem here, so it seems.
I have the same problem with 3.4. (lrdy made a new topic for this one, but maybe this wil shed some light here too, because i found out that DHCP-broadcast failed).
I used Knoppix3.3 with no problems (on both my laptop and desktop), but with 3.4, DHCP-broadcast doesnt seem to work on my laptop (it does on my desktop however) because if I run ifconfig I only see the local loopback thingy.
Any suggestions?
* I'm using a Toshiba Satelite Pro 4600
* Im using the knoppix26 cheat-code because the normal kernel hangs at startup.
Wimmel, the linux N00B but sertainly a linux FAN!
P.S. Excuse my bad english!
Similar Threads
-
By lostinspace in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM
-
By apessos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:12 AM
-
By johar in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
-
By ePro in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
-
By cycopy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 04:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD
$599.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00