-
Junior Member
registered user
lilo to MBR and not showing up after knx2hd
Hello,
Some time ago, I already installed knoppix 3.2 on my pc. Back then I had one hd with a winxp on it and two partitions for Knoppix (Swap and linux)
I installed the knoppix without any problem and lilo configured itself ot MBR and worked fine. => I could choose which os to start while booting my pc.
Now, I have knoppix 3.4 but my pc has changed somehow. I have new mobo, new cpu and a new 160GB sata hd.
I can start knoppix fine from the cd and it recognizes all my hardware, I even see the sata disk as hde drive and my old disk as hda drive. => this looks strange because my sata disk is the one that contains my winxp and I boot from there but anyway hda or hde? what does it matter, it's there.
But ofcourse, I want to install knoppix on my pc and use lilo for dual boot system.
1) I installed knoppix at the second partition of my hda (ide) drive. It installed ok and asked me where to put lilo and I choose MBR. Install completed and the pc rebooted but I never saw lilo appearing.
I figured this might be because the hda (ide) drive is not the drive that's started first when booting. In bios I choose to boot first the sata and then the ide because the sata should be faster.
Ok, so I can't boot linux now. => removed the partition
2) I installed knoppix on a free partition at the end of the hde (sata) drive. It installed correctly and asked me again where to put lilo and again, I choose MBR.
Installation worked fine, reboot pc => no lilo.... so again, I can't boot knoppix.
Now I'm a little worried. Does the sata drive don't work with a MBR maybe? I could see the drive and it's contents when knoppix worked from the cd. Do I need some extra drivers to make it bootable from the sata drive?
Or else, is it possible to have the linux installed on the ide drive (which is not the drive that's booted from the bios) And where do I need to put that lilo so I can choose what os to start?
It's not an option for me to change the boot sequence. I want to start first the sata drive as it boots my winxp which I need for gaming.
ps: I already have a knoppix box working as my fw/rtr on an old AMD-K6II and it works great. So I'm not completely new to linux/knoppix.
Any advice will be most appreciated.
regards,
Lieven
Similar Threads
-
By cyris in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-13-2004, 04:32 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 06:44 AM
-
By chapium in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
-
By grendwulf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 10:36 PM
-
By srinivasan in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99