Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Help...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124

    Help...

    Hello, I am new to linux. I have tried to run knoppix, but after the software starts to load the kernel something goes wrong. This is what it says:
    KMOD: FAILED TO EXEC /SBIN/MODPROBE -S -K BINFMT-0000, ERRNO=5.

    KERNEL PANIC: NO INIT FOUND TRY PASSING INIT= OPTION TO KERNEL.

    My computer stops there; also the lock keyboard light starts blinking.

    Thank You for Your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Do run the md5sum on the image.

    If that turns out OK, you might try the failsafe cheatcode:

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    What do You mean "on the image"?
    Thansk

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Sorry, I mean on the .iso you downloaded.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    Ok, so I run md5sum from the iso file and then what? Put everything on a cd? What program do you suggest?
    I have used Roxio to do the copy. Maybe this is the problem? Everything was automatic.
    thanks

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    Ok, I know what happen now.

    Thanks to windows the download stoped at 200MB! I can't wait to switch to Linux!I
    I'll try it today, I am sure it will work this time!

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84
    Sounds like a new Window$ feature - designed to reduce the number of Linux transplants... :P :P :P

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    That's right Mastang64!!! Sounds like windows is implementing this new software
    Anyway, this time I've used opera browser and everything was perfect. I burn the cd a couple of minutes later; restart the machine and voila', knoppix was there up and running!!!
    I was in complete shock when I realized that the installation was done in 10 minutes and that I was surfing the web by just clicking mozilla's icon!!!
    Now I understand why Linux is so valuable for all of you, sorry for all of us!!!
    Is it possible to install this software into an hardrive? Meanwhile, what I have to do if I want to install linux software but I don't have a second CD-ROM? I'm running knoppix on a laptop.
    Thank You.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84
    Hard Drive install is a snap. Just follow the instructions in the Documents section of this web site.

    Welcome to the world of Linux!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00