Hi everyone.
I have a matrox G450 16mb, and 2 cdt monitors 1 x 15 & 1 X 17.
this i have booting a knoppix3.4 170604 in a Liteon supadrive connected to a Gigabyte MB with 256 Mb ram screwed in to an aluminium tool case.

I am trying to get a seperate kde desktop on each monitor for web, graphics, general multitasking, or just a double width desktop.

when booting to knoppix the monitors echo each other until X kicks in, then #1 goes blank. I followed the above comprehensive instructions, but when i come to stop X, it wont. i go ctrl-alt-f1
i type /etc/init.d/kdm stop
but it gives me
Stopping K Desktop Manager : kdm not running (/var/run/kdm.pid not found)
I go to top and try to kill kdeinit and that restarts X and kde.

so, i reboot knoppix 2 for text only, run X -configure, and great, it flashes, and after i enter the resulting command, i get a mouse on both screens. Brill!!
so
cd /etc/X11
mv XFree86config XFree86config.old
cp /XFree86config.new ./XFree86config
init 5

screens flicker, and i get my single screen again.

my question is this, where am i going wrong?
also Dual Head computing is getting not only more popular, but also a neccessity in this design climate, why does knoppix not run x -configure on booting to see my 2 monitors, or is it "on the list".