-
Senior Member
registered user
No Sound
Hi;
I just installed knoppix on a brand new custom built pc.
The motherboard is an Intel Desktop Board D845PESV
( also the name of the chipset )
It has onboard sound.
I ran snd config...... It said it found a sound card called:
intel corp |8280lDB AC
when I ran the sound test I got these error messages from sndconfig:
Any ideas?
===============================================
The following error occurred running the modprobe program:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
insmod sound-slot-0 failed
-
Senior Member
registered user
I ran snd config...... It said it found a sound card called:
intel corp |8280lDB AC
Is that in fact the sound card that your mobo has on it?
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
init_module: No such device
This tells me that it is trying to install driver 'i810audio' (because snd config told it to) but that in fact there is no device that uses this driver.
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o
failed
<----of course it did
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
insmod sound-slot-0 failed
It fails to insmod (install module) because nothing can use it.
I would find out what sound card is installed on your board. Then, find out which driver it uses (hopefully there is a Linux driver for it) and install or use that one.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You'll probably have to install alsa. Easy enough, but make sure you read all the documentation.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
I ran snd config...... It said it found a sound card called:
intel corp |8280lDB AC
Is that in fact the sound card that your mobo has on it?
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
init_module: No such device
This tells me that it is trying to install driver 'i810audio' (because snd config told it to) but that in fact there is no device that uses this driver.
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o
failed
<----of course it did
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o:
insmod sound-slot-0 failed
It fails to insmod (install module) because nothing can use it.
I would find out what sound card is installed on your board. Then, find out which driver it uses (hopefully there is a Linux driver for it) and install or use that one.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't have a sound card......the motherboard has onboard sound.......is that supported by debian/knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
The term 'soundcard' is used loosely to sometimes include onboard sound as well as cards for the sake of brevity.
It's true, you do not have a removable card, none the less you have a chip that serves the same function. Find out which one it is. It is entirely possible that it has been misidentified by Linux (nothing is perfect) but if it's new it probably just needs drivers. I would follow through with fingers99's good advice of installing ALSA.
Go get a .deb 
Where? you ask - here_. http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/
If you need assistance getting it installed you can go here:
Debian home page www.debian.org
Once you see how easy .debs are to install you will be impressed there is also apt-get. Neither are flawless of course!
Check this out too:
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr...=linux+drivers
Similar Threads
-
By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
-
By Iost in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 40
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
-
By dobell in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$79.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00