Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: livecd -> hd install versus standard distro install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4

    livecd -> hd install versus standard distro install

    hello ppl,

    I was just wondering if my reasons for trying out a live cd then doing a hd install of it are still valid.

    my reasons were: none of the distros I tested had the almost perfect hardware recognition while knoppix or kanotix are perfect for the hardware I use.

    Now what would be a better distro talking about those two? I heard kanotix is better if I am aiming at a hd install and thats definitely what I want.

    any opinions?


    Please do not treat this as a usual "whats better...?" post, I am talking about a hd install ( need a live cd for that) and want the end product not to be too far from the original distro (in this case debian)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    A Kanotix install will get you closer to a pure debian install. There are some pros and cons you may want to consider...nothing too major. For instance I believe Kanotix only comes with a 2.4 kernel at the moment...so if you want 2.6 and don't feel like adding it (which Kano has a script to make easy) keep that in mind. Kanotix is also not a good idea if you have a system that's highly outdated. Both will give you good debian-based systems...my first choice would probably be Kanotix though.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4
    well I want to get it finally running on my laptop. I have knoppix up an running but get plenty of errors during boot up. I thought I might give kanotix a chance as I have got both cds here ....
    only tested knoppix so far and it is per fect concerning hardware detection.

    p.s. forgot to mention I got a morphix cd as well - worth trying or not really competitive for what I want it for?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    Kanotix is also not a good idea if you have a system that's highly outdated. Both will give you good debian-based systems...my first choice would probably be Kanotix though.
    You know....Kano does say Kanotix is optimized for newer hardwaer but I actually installed Kanotix on a p166 w/ 96M ram. It's working fine w/ icewm and of couse it's much better than windows on that same box. Go figure.....

Similar Threads

  1. LiveCD Install -- File Path Help
    By tilleyrw in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 04:18 AM
  2. WLAN worked with LiveCD, stopped working with HDD install
    By santos_douglas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
  3. 2 VERY STRANGE problems with hdd install that arent w/liveCD
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:23 AM
  4. How to install drivers when using LiveCD
    By yournamehere in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 02:44 PM
  5. Knoppix versus Standard HD install
    By walterw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95