Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: hd based install for 3.4

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140

    hd based install for 3.4

    Can someone help set up a guide for hd-based install. I read the docs I even wrote a step by step guide and posted it here. But that was before boot.img went away. I know that I can create a boot.img with a script. That might be the best way to go. But what I would like to do is setup lilo to boot with isolinux. maybe even give a choice of linux 2.4 or linux 2.6. I want to set this up on an empty 2 gig hard drive. 3 partitions 1.)800 or so megs for Knoppix 2.) 250 meg for swap and 3.) whatever is left for a home directory. I can partition and format the drive. I can mount the drive and copy the Knoppix files. It's the part with setting up Lilo that I can't figure out.

    One other Idea that I had was setting up another seperate partition copying the iso there and use the bootfrom=hdaX
    cheatcode.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    Try grub

    Check this out:

    How can I boot KNOPPIX off my hard drive?
    http://www.yak.net/fqa/347.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    Thank you very much for talking the time to answer my post. I've seen that one

    Do you see this part?

    Copy the CDROM (which appears under /cdrom in KNOPPIX) whole into the target partition. Then mount a boot floppy image (it's in /cdrom/KNOPPIX) onto /y and copy its files into the target partition as well.

    # cp -r /cdrom/* /z
    # mkdir /y
    # mount -o loop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot-en.img /y
    # cp /y/* /z

    The problem that I am having is that the boot.img is not there on 3.4
    I think that I can create one by using this script
    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10956
    Then I could use the steps here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8943
    But is that the best way?
    Does anyone know if using the make boot.img script loads all of the drivers?
    Is there a better way to set up LILO with the linux24 and minirt24?

    Another thought. What about putting the knoppix ISO in one partition(hda1), then putting a copy of the CD with the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file stripped out(hda2). then map LILO to boot from the boot files on hda2 Bu then use the cheatcode in the append section of LILO bootfrom=hda1 so you could boot the ISO.

Similar Threads

  1. A couple of Network (wifi) issues on a 3.3 based HDD Install
    By TimWhite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 08:58 PM
  2. 3.4 ct HD based install- reposted to the correct thread
    By nvgringo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 07:16 PM
  3. 3.4 ct HD based install
    By nvgringo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 04:17 PM
  4. Web-based ICQ (ICQ2GO - Jawa based) with Knoppix
    By pilovis in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95