-
Firefox only works for root
Hi all,
I did an apt-get update last night and everything went fine except for Firefox. I can't launch it as a user from KDE or any other environment. However, I can launch it as rott from any of the same environments. I googled and checked this forum for an answer but couldn't find one. Can anyone help?
-
Senior Member
registered user
How do you try to launch it?
ls -al /usr/bin/firefox
are there 3 x's in the permission bits?
-
The permission bits read as -rwxr-xr-x
So, I think they are right. Any suggestions? Thanks.
-
Go to a terminal as a user and run firefox from there. What does it say in the terminal for an error?
-
It says:
Code:
selected locale: en-US
And then goes back to the prompt. Hope this helps. Thanks.
-
I have this same problem can someone please help!
firebird however works fine
-
This was in the readme from the firefox 0.9.1 download.
Note: If you install in the default directory (which is
usually /usr/local/mozilla), or any other directory where
only the root user normally has write-access, you must
start Mozilla first as root before other users can start
the program. Doing so generates a set of files required
for later use by other users.
-

Originally Posted by
DuckDodgers
This was in the readme from the firefox 0.9.1 download.
Note: If you install in the default directory (which is
usually /usr/local/mozilla), or any other directory where
only the root user normally has write-access, you must
start Mozilla first as root before other users can start
the program. Doing so generates a set of files required
for later use by other users.
I wish I could get firefox, but I haven't figured out apt yet, and on the list of everything in the apt I didn't see firefox listed. I'm too confused. 
I did finally manage to un-install a couple things via apt.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Debian installs Firefox to an unwritable directory. You can't add extensions to FF w/out write permissions. You could get the installer from http://mozilla.org/ which is how I prefer to install FF.
This sets up firefox in ~ (/home/username). You can easily add extensions, themes etc. w/out worrying about root permissions. To run it do:
Code:
~/firefox-installer/firefox-bin
You can create a script to launch it for you:
Code:
touch firefox.sh
echo "/home/username/firefox-installer/firefox-bin" > firefox.sh
chmod +x firefox.sh
sudo mv firefox.sh /usr/bin
Now just create a luancher on your desktop or taskbar to run your new script by executing:
-
Senior Member
registered user
klik://firefox (klik client must be installed) automates that for you.
Similar Threads
-
By RobertB in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:17 PM
-
By jMon54 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
-
By bilzer in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 05:44 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00