Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can I change "welcome to knoppix"?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9

    Can I change "welcome to knoppix"?

    Hi, I installed knoppix 3.4 on my hard drive.
    When knoppix boots, there appears a message like,
    "welcome to knoppix (HD installation)"
    Can I change the above message or delete it?
    Google didn't help much because I don't know what people call the message. Maybe welcomming message?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    This is probably the Message of the Day. And it is configured in /etc/motd

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9
    thanks. I checked /etc/motd, but it didn't work.
    Since the message I want to change appears right after init starts, I read inittab and other files and I found /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig has welcome() function and there I could edit that echo line and it worked.

    Also, knoppix-hd-autoconfig seems to set colors to my console window like:
    # ANSI COLORS
    CRE="^M^[[K"
    NORMAL="^[[0;39m"
    # RED: Failure or error message
    RED="^[[1;31m"
    # GREEN: Success message
    GREEN="^[[1;32m"
    # YELLOW: Descriptions
    YELLOW="^[[1;33m"
    # BLUE: System messages
    BLUE="^[[1;34m"
    # MAGENTA: Found devices or drivers
    MAGENTA="^[[1;35m"
    # CYAN: Questions
    CYAN="^[[1;36m"
    # BOLD WHITE: Hint
    WHITE="^[[1;37m"

    I'll search the web, but does anyone know what does "^[[1:33m" kind of string do? I think they are like #33ffaa on web sites, so if I edit correctly I think I might be ablle to change colors of my console (not xterm but in framebuffer mode)...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    For a good explanation of the colors, see the Colors section of the Bash Prompt HOWTO.

Similar Threads

  1. Need change"Welcome to the KNOPPIX ******** "
    By suzan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 01:10 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. Change the message "Welcome to the KNOPPIX..."
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 06:57 AM
  4. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
  5. HOWTO: Change the "Startpage" when knoppix boots
    By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00