-
USB problem after upgrade
I installed knoppix 3.4 and periodically do an apt-get update & upgrade to keep the system up to date, and up until now, I haven't had problems. However, since the last upgrade, I now get a new message in the startup screen (which wasn't there before) stating:
Starting hotplug system
input failed
isapnp success
*can't synthasize pci hotplug events
pci failed
usb
usbcore already loaded
usbcore already loaded
repeats several times.. finally
usb success
And then if I try to plug in a usb storage device (pendrive or external hard disk) into the computer they are not recognised and do not work. dmesg tells me that the device times out and a new interrupt number is assigned...
I checked lsmod and found that usb-storage module was not loaded, even though usb-uhci and usbcore were loaded. And previously it was, and all usb devices worked fine.
Hence, if I do a modprobe usb-storage, the usb storage devices all work fine.
My question here is what has happened in the last upgrade and how can I repair it, having to type modprobe usb-storage everytime I reboot the computer is a drag, and more importantly I want to learn how the system works and understand the problem...
Thanks,
Tim
-
Senior Member
registered user
I *think* you get the pci-hotplug error if you have pcihotplug enabled in your kernel but don't have any hotpluggable pci hardware. Disable that and recompile your kernel.
Simply add modprobe usb-storage to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and it will get loaded everytime.
Try adding usbcore to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.
Similar Threads
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-29-2004, 07:14 AM
-
By badmouth in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-19-2004, 03:52 PM
-
By boudie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-02-2003, 09:09 PM
-
By tagamichi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 06:23 AM
-
By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module
$292.66

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50