Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: no sound alerts animated icons or auto usb

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40

    no sound alerts animated icons or auto usb

    knoppix 3.4 v5-17 2004
    if i log in as root i get system notifications (audio)
    if i enable this under kcontrol for my user (jellyfish) --nothing
    so su kuser and gave jellyfish membership to all groups as test and made primary group root

    still nothing

    next

    i think it was on my old mandrake system but when my mouse was in hover state over some icons they would animate

    so under kcontrol i enambled animate icons for all
    nothing happens how do i turn them on

    next only about 1/3 of the time does my usb auto mount work on my external drive ... any ideas


    ps not for anyone having problems with nvidia drivers with this version


    on all the posts here and elsewere they say include load glx

    lowercase

    the only way i could get nvidia to load glx was if glx was in upercase

    load GLX

    in fact i am using the lates nvidia drivers this way only problem is i dont see a module for my 5700 le so im using generic nvidia but seems to work great anyhow

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    well, for the system sounds notification at least: as user go into kcontrol and in systems sounds choose external player. artsplay works for some folks, for me aplay has worked.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    you are a genious workedd like a charm on system notifications

    now if only my other questions could be answerd by someone
    and here is a new one

    why is it automount dosnt work
    1st my drives appear as scsi 0-....
    second they dont automatically mount
    the drives under my second eide controller dont show up under hwaarinfo etc...

    it just seems funny ive done hd install with knoppix before and never had any (ANY)
    issues just seems like this one with the whole gcc and kernel thing and other things seems buggy

    hope the next version 3.6 returns to the more classic flawless knoppix ive come to know

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    no genius here, that was a fix champagnemojo gave me when I was tearing my hair out after trying a kanotix release with alsa. Wish I could help you with the others, If you post your remaining questions to say the hdinstall forum, someone I am sure will come along to help.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    Alsa help

    This post is for Ms. Cuddles......in reference to ALSA....I think I remember that from my experience with v. 3.3 I dont remember the details, but what is the command to get that to work? I had written it down someplace but forgot. What does ALSA do in relation to SOUND? I forgot! Also I read further down and on another link is a suggestion to use an external player such as ARTSPLAY but I am not sure if I had tried that or not.....But what I would like to know, why does the sound notifications work in v. 3.3 and not the latest [3.4]? Seems buggy and strange.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Alsa help

    It's not difficult to get sound events working without using an external player all the time.
    See this link.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13366

    I hope somebody responds about autofs not working, I have the same problem...about half the time also. Usually if it doesn't work it will after you reboot, sometimes only needing to restartx ('end session only').

    Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    What does ALSA do in relation to SOUND? I forgot!
    ALSA is the current version of linux kernel sound support...default sound support in 2.6 kernel. It replaces OSS which was the original kernel sound support used up to now.
    aRTS is not an alternative to ALSA, it is a sound server, enabling more than one device to use the sound driver. Without it an application will hog the system sound. There is a Gnome equivalent but I forget what it's called.
    I read this in a magazine so it must be at least as correct as what the tabloids report about movie stars.

Similar Threads

  1. Script:animated boot and shutdown splash w/o kernel patch
    By probono in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM
  2. changing icons
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:01 PM
  3. icons gone
    By wmcn in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
  4. auto: auto: no such file or directory
    By maddany in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 02:19 AM
  5. Cool animated LILO boot screen.
    By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code picture

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code

$108.09