I have completed (now several) HD installs from the Knoppix CD. Nice clean install, but I continue to have this problem with both of my laptops which use a Lucent Orinoco pcmcia wireless NIC card:
When Linux boots, the sequence appears to successfully find the card, configures it, (the LEDS light) and moves on to other tasks - then the card manger tries to restart the PCMCIA slots, runs something "pump" then crashes the card and shuts the PCMCIA slots down. It is almost as if it tries to configure the card twice - the first try works perfect, but the second try hoses it and then shuts it down.
I've learned that if I remove the card during this sequence and plug it in right before the "second" try during the sequence above...it works.
I have looked through some of the /etc/init.d and .conf files and cannot find any entry that would appear to load the pcmcia twice.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? Or maybe where I went wrong in installing this?
The details:
Knoppix 3.4 CD (after an HD install), Kernel 2.4
on both a Panasonic CF-37 and CF-72 laptop
Lucent Orinoco pcmcia network cards
Thanks,
Eric

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
Lot of 2 Cisco 10-3107-01 SFP-10G-LR-S S-Class SFP+ 10G LR SMF LC Transceiver
$59.95
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70