Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Knoppix on dvd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix on dvd

    This is going in the other direction of most people but I wanted to try it I haven't added much to it yet just distcc, blender and wings3d.

    I burnt the image onto a dvd-rw and booted it on a laptop and everything works fine, now to start adding some big things like my 2 gig Unreal Tournament folder and see what the speed is like.

    Anybody else try Knoppix on dvd?

    Martin

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    DVD

    Sounds like a great idea!!! There are alot of big stuff, flightgear map of the world....

    That would be a great iso to put somewhere.

    Bill

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I suggested this to Klauss several months ago and he said it would run too slow!

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I will keep adding to it and see what the speed is like so far its okay just a lag as the disk spins up.

    I want to put some games like Unreal Tournament Demo but I would need nvidia acceleration and doing a search it doesn't look like its being done.

    Any other suggestions for adding to it, big programs that won't fit on a cdrom.

    Martin

  5. #5

    Knoppix on DVD

    I saw your post about Knoppix on DVD and REALLY want to get a clue how you did it. I have the small (80mm) 1.45Gb disks in my drawer and want to be able to get Knoppix onto one of them. I know it won't be as easy as burning a CD, but I am able to burn regular DVD's in WinXP. Any ideas for me?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14

    Blender! yea baby

    Blender! yea baby

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I created the image using the remastering how-to then I burned the image using dvd-decrypter under xp.

    Dvd-decrypter is a great free program that will work when Nero won't to the job.

    My later attemps using a larger compressed file system failed, I have to do some more testing to see if something got corrupted or if there is a size limit on the compressed file system.

    I wonder if its possible to have more than one compressed file system on a disk and mount them seperately.

    Martin

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    The bigger the image will get indeed,the slower it will get.
    Isn't it possible to create then multiple img files and mount them seperately to accelerate it ?
    I think by wisely deviding them (ex. each big game an img file) wouldn't it
    accelerate things a little ?
    Nevertheless using DVD's I think wouldn't demand a considerable amount of memory (read ramdisk ) extra to load the game.
    In case of that extra memory maybe create more then 1 ramdisk ? A part for the system and a part for large gamefiles ?
    Or is there maybe a trick on creating extra buffermemory for the DVD player ?
    I think we'll have to wait for the new ATA standard.
    Greetings,

  9. #9

    Knoppix on DVD

    It works! I have my Knoppix 3.2 on a 1.45Gb 8cm mini DVD. I couldn't get the DVD-RAM to work with DVD-Decryptor though. Is there a problem with DVD-RAM and DVD-Decryptor. I checked their site and there doesn't seem to be any info about it.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Cool, I don't know about dvd-ram I have been using dvd-rw's to play with this and they work fine.

    Next I want to get the nvidia drivers working so I can try some games on it.

    Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro E300-9D-4CN8TP Xeon D-2123IT 8GB RAM 4x10GbE SFP+ IPMI Server w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E300-9D-4CN8TP Xeon D-2123IT 8GB RAM 4x10GbE SFP+ IPMI Server w/ PSU

$475.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro X10DRU-i+ 1U 4BS LFF 2x Xeon E5-2690V3 256GB DDR4 Rail Kit Dual PSU picture

Supermicro X10DRU-i+ 1U 4BS LFF 2x Xeon E5-2690V3 256GB DDR4 Rail Kit Dual PSU

$2270.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



SuperMicro SuperServer 5013C-M picture

SuperMicro SuperServer 5013C-M

$160.00