Hey everyone, I've been having some problems with a USB keychain drive.
By default my HDD install of Knoppix did not allow me to auto-detect or mount USB devices (particularly from Konqueror), so I created the directory /mnt/usb and added this line to /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto defaults,user,noexec,auto 0 0
At first when I only tried reading from the drive everything seemed to work fine, I could mount, unmount and access the drive from the devices tab in Konqueror. However, when I try to copy something to the drive, the copy may only be partially successful (my first copy was 2 files, one good and one corrupted). After this point I can no longer unmount the drive. umount -f gives the following error:
root@monster:/home/matt# umount -f /mnt/usb
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /dev/sda1: not mounted
umount: /mnt/usb: Illegal seek
To access the USB drive again I have to reboot the machine.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix the problem, and also any advice on how to force an unmount if this problem comes up again (or for testing out solutions, so I don't have to reboot for each one).
One other thing: I just realized that /mnt/usb is owned by my normal user account and not root, could this be a problem?
Complete /etc/fstab:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# TEST - USB drive
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto defaults,user,noexec,auto 0 0

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99
CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99