Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can't get Knoppix 3.4 5-17-2004 ver. to boot from disk

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    6

    Can't get Knoppix 3.4 5-17-2004 ver. to boot from disk

    I downloaded the iso image to my harddrive (690MB took FOREVER even over DSL!). I got it from the perdue Knoppix mirror. Reputable. Running Windows XP Home.

    I validated the MD5 hashes,
    changed my boot sequence to check the CD first,
    copied the iso to a cd-r...
    When I reboot it checks the CD rom drive VERY quickly and then immediately boots to Windows XP Home.

    It isn't the BIOS boot sequence. I checked. Do I have to DO something to the iso before burning it to cd or something? I thought I had read all the instructions and FAQs on the main Knoppix site.

    What did I do wrong?

    I am new to Linux and am trying to get Knoppix to work for a lab for an incident response course. Didn't want to overlay my current OS since it is the family computer. Ya know?

    Help on how to get my CD to boot is MUCH APPRECIATED!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Can't get Knoppix 3.4 5-17-2004 ver. to boot from disk

    Quote Originally Posted by queen2
    copied the iso to a cd-r...
    How did you do this? Most people do it wrong the first time. It's not a matter of drag, drop and burn a copy. If you have Nero or EZ CD creator, put the blank in, then double-click the ISO download file. The rest will happen automatically. Your use of the word "copy" leads me to suspect that you made the same mistake that many other people do the first time.

    jd

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    6
    Yup...that is EXACTLY what I did...glad to hear it is a common mistake. I will try buring again...Knew I should have used a CD-RW dang it.

    THanks for the quick response. I will come back if the problem recurs.


  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    6

    confused now..

    i did what you said and Windows couldn't figure out how to open it and nothing happened automatically. MS directed me to some webpages/software sites that could read my iso. I downloaded ISObuster and can veiw the contents of the CD now but I still don't see how to copy it to CD other than drag/drop. What did I miss?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    6
    downloaded Nero 6 and going to try again....thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    6

    Can't get on the Internet using Knoppix 3.4

    It appears that my DSL modem is not being recognized by Knoppix 3.4. It is a Westell Wirespeed model b90-211010-04. I read on a post somewhere (God knows where...looked too many places now!) that maybe I have to enter something in etc? I have the USB connection for the modem plugged in while I am booting but I guess there is something I need to do (no Windows Wizard for Network connection )

    Thanks to jdrake all other systems on Knoppix booting fine on my Dell laptop. CD kept stalling when I tried to boot on my Compaq Desktop though. Any ideas on this? The monitor would freeze or something and the CD drive stopped reading. Wierd. Used on my laptop fine.

    Any ideas on the DSL internet connection setup or why my compaq presario 6000 would just stop like that? hmmm.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Not sure what to say. My Westel DSL worked straight out of the box, so I never had to face this, and my computer is an HP, which is very similar to Compaq.

    My guess is that it's not your modem. It's separate from your computer, and neither your computer nor Knoppix know or care whether it's Westel or Ronco. My bet is that your network card (or Wi-Fi) isn't being detected, or that you don't have good linux drivers. Poke around to see if you get eror messages and post them on the forum. There should be something on the WIKI telling you how to do that, or run a search on the forum.

    jd

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.4 boot disk
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
  2. Boot from CD, KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN
    By amir in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
  3. no boot.img on KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
    By Christopher in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 12:05 AM
  4. Will there ever be a floppy boot disk for Knoppix 3.6?
    By CCC-Shiner in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 11:28 PM
  5. knoppix boot disk
    By worfking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-1018R-WC0R 1U Rack Server Xeon E5-2620 v4 64GB DDR4 RAM No HDD. picture

Supermicro SYS-1018R-WC0R 1U Rack Server Xeon E5-2620 v4 64GB DDR4 RAM No HDD.

$289.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested picture

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested

$435.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00