Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Installproblem: Usage for XDialogs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    Installproblem: Usage for XDialogs

    hello all,

    I tried to install Knoppix 3.4 on a Compaq Proliant 1600 server with raid array 3200 controller. I have the problem that even though I created a 4 GB Linux partition (ReiserFS / Bootable) and a 512 MB Linux-Swap the system requirements seem not to be met.

    When I use IGNORE_CHECK=1 on the knoppix installer (downloaded the latest version from the net) I end up with a textfile popping up that shows a file "Usage for XDialogs". When I choose next the script finishs and the shell prompt is again there. Install does not proceed.

    Any ideas what could be the problem?

    Thanks
    Vullyman

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I would sugest you create partition for linux from outside of knoppix, don't use qtpart,it's buggy. Try some googling and look for some partition management software that can create linux partition. Ex: Ranish,partition magic....

    Create ext and linux swap.
    When finish, then will you use knoppix cd to install.

    If you don't want to use other partition manager, you could try boot from knoppix cd with cheatcode knoppix 2 so it won't enter kde. While in command line state, you could use this command : cfdisk to patition your hdd. After that, reboot your system and proceed with knopix installation.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    I partitioned the disk with Partition Magic and with this I got one step or better one form further. I still need the IGNORE_CHECK=1 and then I can choose the setup typ but after that again the Usage for XDialogs pops up and that finishes the script.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Sorry, I missed that you are using RAID ARRAY. That is the problem.
    I don't know how to do it on raid, but i found something that might help you.
    http://www.geekcomix.com/cgi-bin/cla..._Software_RAID

    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    HD Install succeeded - mouse does not move

    I tried without the RAID Array (lets take it one step after the other) and what a nice surprise the installer runs through...

    unfortunately the next issue is already there
    The mouse does not work... it stay right in the middle of the screen. But that was already the same with the Knoppix from CD.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I don't know what type of mouse you have.
    You have to do some editing in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    for the mouse to work.
    Or you could try run kxconfig in root shell.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Forgot to ask you...is your mouse hang on both kernel?
    Some people only has problem with either one kernel. Mine with kernel 2.4.26.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    it's a simple PS/2 mouse (3 button mouse no wheel) and I can only boot the standard kernel 2.4.26. The 2.6 kernel does panic...

    I had not yet time to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or use kxconfig....

    thanks a lot for your help!

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You could try edit your /etc/lilo.conf first.Append nowheelmouse in your kernel 2.4.26 lines, example:

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26
    label="Linux2.4"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce alsa nowheelmouse"

    and DON'T FORGET to update your lilo, type lilo in root shell.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    I edited the lilo.conf and added the nowheelmouse but this did not yet help... so I will try to get this working with XF86Config-4 and/or kxconfig.

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Disaster Recovery usage?
    By jpretti in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
  2. root usage
    By Alexxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:53 PM
  3. Failed to verify AGP usage
    By raduen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 03:07 PM
  4. Cheat Code Usage
    By hankster in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 09:37 AM
  5. 3.2a EN Persistent Home -> Usage for Xdialog
    By Jester^ in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00