-
Help MBR had to be reformatted
okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,
so I reformatted my MBR.
now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.
but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.
so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.
I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help MBR had to be reformatted

Originally Posted by
Galvatron36
okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,
so I reformatted my MBR.
now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.
but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.
so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.
I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.
Assuming lilo was working correctly before then boot using knoppix 2 with the Knoppix CD then when you get to the prompt.
Code:
mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
To mount the root partition of the HD install and chroot ( change root) and run lilo. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the Knoppix root.
-
I have been doing this until I decided to install Windows Xp after installing knoppix and lilo didn't want to get back. It sayd me that my partitions table was broken so i have to restore it.
I started knoppix (from cd), opened konsole and tiped:
I selected the option to restore (rewrite it) the partition table and then I was able to install lilo.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Galvatron36
Actually knoppix is a rescue cd.
Okay, to restore lilo on mbr , read my post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...221&highlight=
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

VINTAGE Digital Equipment DEC 50-19464-02 2 MB 100 ns SIMM 5019464-02
$40.00

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00