-
Saving settings to a floppy
How do you do that!? I hate having to keep resetting my settings after each boot
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, just click on the big "K" on the left of the task bar. Then click on KNOPPIX and then on save config to floppy (or something like that). This creates a shell script called knoppix.sh on your floppy which is read upon boot-up with the cheat code: "knoppix floppyconfig."
I did this with a boot floppy, knopix.sh fit just fine! It has to be a linux formatted disk.
Good Luck!
Regards,
-
Senior Member
registered user
RE: Saving settings to a floppy

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
It has to be a Linux formatted disk.
Actually an MS-DOS-formatted floppy works just fine...
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can make a boot floppy from an MS-DOS formatted disk since rawrite rewrites the whole disk in linux format.
To use "knoppix floppyconfig" the knoppix.sh file must be on a linux formatted disk as you're running a shell script (*.sh). This is why I use a boot disk as these are the only linux formatted disks I have....
Regards,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
You can make a boot floppy from an MS-DOS formatted disk since rawrite rewrites the whole disk in linux format.
To use "knoppix floppyconfig" the knoppix.sh file must be on a linux formatted disk as you're running a shell script (*.sh). This is why I use a boot disk as these are the only linux formatted disks I have....
As I said before, an MS-DOS-formatted floppy works just fine for storing configuration files -- I'm not talking about boot disks. This fact allowed me to copy my Mozilla bookmarks from Windows to my Knoppix configuration floppy and take it to a friend's house so I could maintain my environment on his system -- it worked, that's what matters. I'm sure that's why KFloppy supports MS-type floppy formatting.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Relax, man, I'm just trying to answer the original question. You CAN save ANY linux file (text) to an MS formatted disk. The original question had to do with saving settings and getting them back on boot-up, right?
Peace,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
Relax, man, I'm just trying to answer the original question. You CAN save ANY linux file (text) to an MS formatted disk. The original question had to do with saving settings and getting them back on boot-up, right?
Yes, and that's the question I answered. One of the problems with written communication is that subtlties can be lost. I didn't mean to sound TOO forceful, I just wanted to be understood... Knoppix settings can be saved to -- and retrieved at boot from -- an MS-DOS-formatted disk; that was my message.
Similar Threads
-
By punkpaddy in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
-
By ankit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:23 AM
-
By JockVSJock in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 06:11 PM
-
By tyiooo in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
-
By true1ever in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$729.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00