Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Help with error on boot-up

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    Help with error on boot-up

    Hello all.....I have noticed on both my laptop and desktop which has KNOPPIX 3.4 i get the same error which i cannot figure out. It is on boot-up and is as follows:

    starting hotplug subsystem:
    input
    [failed] net
    pci
    ***can't synthesize pci hotplug events
    [failed usb
    usbcore: already loaded
    usbcore: already loaded
    usbcore: already loaded
    done

    It does this 2 times as the boot up progresses. Everything is working OK as far as I can tell.....computers run well. Is it because I have no USB devices attached?

    Another error that comes up during bootup is as follows:

    failed to exec /sbin/modprobes -s -K
    scsi_hostadapter, errno=2

    Dont know what this means either. So does any one know how to make adjustments so as not to get these errors???? Please help if you can...bob58

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7

    Re: Help with error on boot-up

    well if you dont have any usb devices, than why worry about the error ?

    And you have knoppix working don't you?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    boot up errors.....

    Yes Knoppix is working ok its just that that error, the one that comes up two times slows the start up a bit. I just dont know if the error is from a program loading to detect any usb devices attached, and seeing none, it produces the error....I just dont understand why it comes up twice. Maybe i will connect my usb scanner and see what happens. I just like to know what the errors mean, thats all. bob58

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    bob58,

    My guess is that the two services are a fall-out of auto-detection of Knoppix - one being for USB support, the other being for SCSI support...

    If you are running from the CD, you can always add the cheatcodes: nousb noscsi onto the boot: prompt line, and that will stop the services for even looking...

    But, if you have a USB device, then I would keep them running, for when you do have a device connected...

    The errors you speak of, are not "really" errors, but more informational - in my case, they would be errors - because I do have a USB device connected, and it should find something - for me, if I saw that error, it would mean I have a problem with my USB hub, ports, or the device - for you, it is just informational - since you don't have a device connected.

    The boot information ( the stuff that "flys" by the screen so quickly ) is more of a "dual purpose" kind of thing... Focus on the stuff you know needs to be running, and the stuff you know should be connected, this stuff would be errors, as for the stuff that you don't have, the stuff would be informational to you, and your system.

    Say, at the beginning of the boot process, it found ZERO processors, that would be an error... If on the other hand, during the boot process it couldn't find a printer, and you have no printer connected or configured, then the messages would be informational, to you, or your system... I would take it, if it was a serious error, the system would not boot at all, so, most messages are informational - the system can boot without them.

    Most motherboards ( newer ones ) have at least one, if not more, USB hubs, mine has two... Not that you may have any device on these "hubs", but the "HotPlug" detection needs to scan these "hubs" to ensure that something isn't connected to them, and thus, you may get an "informational" message to the fact that it didn't find any devices, or an error, if devices are connected, but not working...

    For me, I have a "flash card" reader connected to my USB hub, if the card reader is connected, but doesn't have a card inserted, I get a message during boot that the device is in error. When a card is inserted, I get statistics on the size of the card, from the reader, during boot, and no error. If the device wasn't connected at all, during boot, I would also get an error from the USB scan that no devices were found ( this would allert me to the fact that "maybe" the reader has come unplugged somehow ) - i.e. informational.

    Why it is doing it twice? My guess is, that the first time it is trying to detect devices that it may need to set interupts for, and the second time, it is trying to set interupts... OR... the first past it is scanning for devices, thinks that it may not have been able to scan properly, and thus, a second pass is made to ensure that the first pass is valid, and that during the boot, it didn't just "miss" something... ( this happens a lot, like the devices are being caught at the wrong time, and when it returns, they are ready. I get this with my CD-ROM devices, looking at dmesg, my CD-ROMS get scanned first during the hard drive detection, and when it finds my CD-ROMS, it "passes" them for later to detect them better using the SCSI detection, in which case they get assigned the /dev/sr# instead of the /dev/hdX# designations. )

    This is all conjecture, but I really think the messages you are seeing can be "chocked" up as informational, unless of course, you have devices that it isn't detecting in the areas of these "informational" messages, then it would be close to being an error, and would need to be looked at, kinda thing...

    Hope this ( really I do ) helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    bootup errors

    Thank you Ms. Cuddles.....you may have hit the nail on the head. I will connect my USB scanner and see what happens. As far as SCSI devices, I wont worry about it. I was just concerned cause when I had Knoppix 3.3 installed, I never saw that particular message so it just caught my eye. And it does it on both my laptop AND desktop! Well thanks for your reply, it does make sense and I suppose there is really no "error" so to speak, just informational messages.
    As far as things that should be running, the only thing I dont need to start when computer boots is cupsd because i dont use a printer, so i got the instructions in another post how to disable cupsd. As far as any other things running at start up, i am not sure exactly what they ALL are! But I was hoping to shorten the bootup time by trying to eliminate the cause of those 2 "error" messages.
    thanks again...bob58

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Well, Bob58,

    In my system, I don't have a SCSI card, thus, I don't need the SCSI detection for a SCSI card, and I run with the noscsi cheatcode - when I was booting from the CD...

    If you are in the same situation, you can eliminate one of your "informational" messages, by adding that cheatcode on your boot prompt - and see what happens - if something appears not to be working, just reboot, and don't enter that cheatcode again. Nice thing about the Live-CD... You could boot with the nousb noscsi when you don't need the support, and when you do, just remove either/or/both of the cheatcodes during your boot prompt...

    It gets a little tougher when you install to your hard drive, usually requiring getting into LILO or GRUB and changing the append= line, and, as I found, sometimes the append line isn't that much use...

    I'm glad I could help,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Boot error
    By Marash in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
  2. error trying to boot
    By Rectifier in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
  3. During boot i get this error
    By Jim Shoe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 01:08 PM
  4. boot error
    By kashif in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 08:10 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99