-
Questions about full hdd install, partitions size, etc..
knoppix-installer just dont want to co-operate with me; I keep getting the same error message,, something about cannot make ext3 mkfs? So i went and got Acronis (a partition maker) and I assume (forgive my assumptions) that the partitiions should look something like this,
hda1 /boot 40megs ext3 (made bootable)
hda2 /swap 1gig swap (I have a 400 meg AMD with 320 meg RAM)
hda3 /root rest of drive ext3
from here I've been able to use the cheatcodes to copy the cd in compressed form to hda3 without the use of lilo, so i use the live cd to boot.
however, I'm more interested in makeing a full uncompressed install.
I think I read somewhere to use the du command?
Is the partition size I have good?
any changes you can suggest or will amunition be required?
the goal of this install is to have a full knoppix install (standard GNU/LINUX) and to learn as much about the installation process and running linux as possible, so needless to say, the computer I have has no value to me outside of learning linux aka nothing mission criticle, and I'm just here to learn.
-
Senior Member
registered user
hda1 /boot 40megs ext3 (made bootable)
hda2 /swap 1gig swap (I have a 400 meg AMD with 320 meg RAM)
hda3 /root rest of drive ext3
Your partition will work for real Debian installation but for knoppix-installer it won't(for newbie).
1 gig of swap is too big, any linux distro will not need that much.
For knoppix-installer to work you only need two partition.
1) Linux Swap (between 128 to 500 Mb)
2) Ext3 at least 2 Gb (I suggest you partition more than that..the rest of your partition, because in futiure, you might want to learn how to install programs, how to compile programs, and alot more of hows....welcome to linux world...learning is a daily task.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
try this
ight8, if you're a newbie you might consider this advice from a fellow newbie. Divide your hard drive in half (except for the swap partition). Use one half for your active installation and use the other half for a backup partition of the active one. I use partition commander for this purpose. Now only when you have an active partition that represents a good knoppix install, copy the active to the backup.
Now when you goof, and you will, and you find yourself unable to undo the damage without taking a lot of linux courses, merely copy the backup partition to the active one and you're up and running again. This has saved me at least 50 times so far.
Similar Threads
-
By GerryA in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 05:11 PM
-
By bwathen in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
-
By clarjon1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:43 AM
-
By wavetel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
-
By alex52 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99