Is that too much info??
Nope-just right.
I assume you have only one hard drive-it is called /dev/hda. If you have multiple drives the 2nd one would be /dev/hdb the 3rd /dev/hdc and so on.
I am also assuming that you are not dual booting.

Try this:
Relax- boot the Knoppix disk.
Then do this:

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda
Cfdisk is a very easy to use virtual partition genie. It's very straightforward. If you have your own partitions already created then skip this next part.

Make a swap file twice the size of your ram. Put it 'at the end' of the freespace-cfdisk will ask you 'beginning' or 'end' Format it with #82-Linux swap. You can easily learn how to do this within cfdisk and with info cfdisk.
The second partition MUST BE AT LEAST 2300MB. I would make it bigger. Format it with #83 Linux. Don't forget- write the partition table to the disk, reboot with Knoppix cd again.

***make sure everything works as you want it to - that is be sure to use all cheat codes you need for wheelmouse, screensize, etc.
Then do this:
sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
I have not experienced the German dialogue boxes but I know that they exist. If you have a workaround GREAT. If not burn the English ISO. Do not rush through the install. Read everything. You can still surf for info while you are installing if need be. (try that with m$)
I prefer the ext3 file system- very reliable. Make sure you select it with the space bar. Simply moving the focus to that selection won't work! Make the boot floppy when asked - you may need it. Select YES for KDE as your default desktop (unless you don't have the ram).
Here's the important part- Install LILO to the MBR.
NOT the floppy
NOT the root directory
The Master Boot Record

When it says "install complete" do this:
reboot
It will spit out the cd for you.
When you boot into your freshly installed Knoppix- you actually have Debian! SCORE! If you log in as root you will get the KDE wizard. Then do this:
adduser
I would open the KDE Control Center on the taskbar. Familiariz yourself with it because you are about to interpret some German.
Then 'logout' from the taskbar and log in as your new user name.
DO NOT PANIC! It will be in German. Open the Control Panel as before.
Expand the menu item named "personlischze" (I obviously do not speak German) then expand the menu item "land&sprauge" (again - I'd like to apologize to our German speaking friends). Select North Amerika from the pull down menu. You'll have to log out and back in to change things. Don't forget to once again open the control center>Peripherals>Keyboard and select your default keyboard map.
And that's that.