Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Possible to Install using anything besides KDE?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61

    Possible to Install using anything besides KDE?

    I've tried installing Knoppix on the HD of my PII 266 (64 megs RAM, 500 Gigs HD) machine, and while it comes up, it runs slow as a dog. This is even with a 1 Gig swap setup.

    My assumption from looking at distributions such as Damn Small Linux is that the problem has more to do with KDE than with Knoppix per se.

    Is there a way to do an HD install so that Knoppix uses something like fluxbox? Or is that more of a customization issue?

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you have a beginner of debian install you can select IceWM in the login manager as session type.
    Then just start ripping out kde with apt. I can't recall now which window managers knoppix comes with but they should all be listed in the menu. You can also boot the cd with a cheatcode like desktop=icevm

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    29

    Setting deafult desktop after HDD install

    I too am in a bit of a bother on this. How do I set the default desktop in a beginner HDD install? I want icewm to run as trhe default desktop. But how do I do this? Must I remove KDM completely? If so how?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    In the kdm login window there is an option for "session" or something of the sort (I'm not where I can look at the kdm login screen right now), you should see options such as KDE icewm failsafe etc.

    Just select the "session" you want and you should be asked if you want that to be your default session.

    HTH

    ~rock

    BTW I have a P-II 266 w/ 64MB ram and it is fine using icewm (much better than KDE) although I primarily use it for a file server

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$32.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator picture

Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator

$220.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



1979 vintage apple II 2  keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla picture

1979 vintage apple II 2 keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla

$500.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage HippoVision Video Digitizer Atari ST Hippopotamus Software Cartridge picture

Vintage HippoVision Video Digitizer Atari ST Hippopotamus Software Cartridge

$99.95



vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us picture

vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us

$29.99