Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to add new user?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11

    How to add new user?

    Dear all,

    I've installed Knoppix on my HD NOT with the knx-hdinstall-script, but with the method Herr Knopper indicates in one of the readme-files (copying all files manually, making all necessary changes manually). Now everything works fine, printer is o.k., modem is o.k. The only problem I have is this:

    I have added a new user (me) and want to use this user (me) as standard user, i.e. I want the boot-process not to end up in a graphical X-session with Knoppix as user, but with (me) as the new user. I tried everything: the new user is member of the group users, I said to session management to boot into the graphical interface with (me) as user, but the Knoppix system simply doesn't recognize another user than Knoppix --- every boot ends in Xwindows with user Knoppix.

    Any hint would be welcome!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    If you want to just be able to log in as the one new user try this:
    edit /etc/init.d/xsession and replace the line:
    ...
    USER=knoppix
    ...
    with USER=me

    If you would like to allow different users or remote X logins you could try this, on my Morphix hd installs I apt-get install gdm (gnome display manager) and use it as the X login manager. Before gdm will work I have to make the Morphix xsession init script non-executable, so I " chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xsession " then when I bootup I can log in as the user I wish.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Dear Rock,

    thanks a lot! I also had tried the gdm, but when I booted with this display manager, Xwindows was badly affected and didn't run anymore, and so I switched back to the configuration I had before. But I will try it once again, using your solution, esp. with the non-executable xsession-script!

    Thanks,

    Uwe

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Yeah, if you don't make xsession non-executable and just add gdm X will not run, I also found that out a while back, I ended up with an X crashing endless loop.

    Also something I've figured out the hard way, it's a real good idea to leave things in place (especially system scripts) and just make them non-executable, then if you are forced to go back to an initial setup it is easy to undo things, but if you delete a file (as I've done, too many times) and you can't get it from another machine it's time for a reinstall, been there done that, way too many times. Actually knoppix is really cool in this way because you just have to boot up the cd and copy the necessary file over to the install and it's back to where it was.

    rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    11
    Dear rock,

    I can but underline every single word of your mail! My first installation of gdm (having the xsession script still executable) ended as you say: X crashed into an endless loop. So your remarks on making files non-executable when experimenting with the system are very valuable!

    It is a pleasure to have you on this list!

    Thanks,

    Uwe

Similar Threads

  1. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  3. Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
  4. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. Knoppix User password for "Knoppix" user
    By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00