Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new HD

    Hi Guys

    I am embarrassed to ask, as I feel I am rather fluent in Windows, but when it comes to Knoppix, I feel like an eskimo in Sahara.

    Ok the ths story goes:

    I have two rather similar computers, they have the same everything except the prosessor and network card. Now. I have been running knoppix HDinstall for like 6 months and no worries. But as I now have a better processor in the new machine I am thinking why not just put my HD into my new machine? Now I have already installed knoppix on it but have now moved my bid HD from the oldest of my two machines to the other. But when I get to KDE I can't for the life of me find my new HD... But when running Knoppix from the CD I find it straight away.... Go figure...

    Now can anyone please explain in extreme layman terms what I should do? If it includes using the commandline I could always try, but so far I have been happy to avoid using it with the occasional exception of apt get.

    All I want to do is to have an icon on my desktop that says hdb1 or something (this is where the live cd found the files anyway...)

    Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298

    Re: Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira
    Hi Guys

    I am embarrassed to ask, as I feel I am rather fluent in Windows, but when it comes to Knoppix, I feel like an eskimo in Sahara.

    Ok the ths story goes:

    I have two rather similar computers, they have the same everything except the prosessor and network card. Now. I have been running knoppix HDinstall for like 6 months and no worries. But as I now have a better processor in the new machine I am thinking why not just put my HD into my new machine? Now I have already installed knoppix on it but have now moved my bid HD from the oldest of my two machines to the other. But when I get to KDE I can't for the life of me find my new HD... But when running Knoppix from the CD I find it straight away.... Go figure...

    Now can anyone please explain in extreme layman terms what I should do? If it includes using the commandline I could always try, but so far I have been happy to avoid using it with the occasional exception of apt get.

    All I want to do is to have an icon on my desktop that says hdb1 or something (this is where the live cd found the files anyway...)

    Please help.
    the live cd automatically does hardware detection. an hdinstall does not. (at least, a debian hdinstall normally doesnt. you can make it do an hardware check if you want, I guess).

    so. you have to add the hdisk yourself. the normal way whould be opening the file /etc/fstab and adding a new line for your new harddisk. requires some knowledge about the file (although its not too difficult).
    other way is finding the script that creates the fstab. it has a name something like 'createfstab', you can use 'locate fstab' to find its name. running it wil regenerate the fstab, thereby automatically adding the new disk properly.

    good luck

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new

    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    so. you have to add the hdisk yourself. the normal way whould be opening the file /etc/fstab and adding a new line for your new harddisk. requires some knowledge about the file (although its not too difficult).
    OK so nao I have Changed my fstab to include my HDB1, still nothing.

    Any Ideas as to how I could try your other alternative? I must admit it didn't make much sense to me, even after trying to google for some key words...

    Keira

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new

    Once you have the disk set up to mount properly, you can right click on the desktop and go Create New->Device->HardDisk Device, and click on the hard disk tab and your disk should be in the drop down list.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new

    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Once you have the disk set up to mount properly, you can right click on the desktop and go Create New->Device->HardDisk Device, and click on the hard disk tab and your disk should be in the drop down list.
    OK I surrendered, installed knoppix anew.. Everything okay now... Created new and so fort on my desktop. Everything seems to run smoothly

    Thanks guys for being so sweet to take of your time and help a gal on a sunday...

    Keira

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298

    Re: Newbie girl just not getting it right...Cant find my new

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Once you have the disk set up to mount properly, you can right click on the desktop and go Create New->Device->HardDisk Device, and click on the hard disk tab and your disk should be in the drop down list.
    OK I surrendered, installed knoppix anew.. Everything okay now... Created new and so fort on my desktop. Everything seems to run smoothly

    Thanks guys for being so sweet to take of your time and help a gal on a sunday...

    Keira
    hmmm

    I am afraid I forgot to mention that after adding it to the fstab, you still have to do a few things...
    - make a new map in /mnt (or wherever you want to mount the disk)
    - then mount it: mount /dev/hdb1 or mount /mnt/datadisk

    man mount
    man fstab
    will give you more info.

Similar Threads

  1. Probably a newbie question - searched & didn't find a ma
    By fractalsphere in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 05:07 AM
  2. Can't find kernel image - Newbie needs help
    By ozone in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM
  3. glmatrix - can't find it
    By huntersa in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 03:59 AM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$483.99



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$484.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99